Controlling wheel hop?

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Forget add-on suspension pieces. What you need is a good set of lower control arms with some decent performance bushings in them. That's job one on any stock suspension. The difference is dramatic. Wheel hop is typically eliminated entirely. And it still does all the stuff that a stock suspension does.

You don't even need to do the uppers right away if money is tight. The lowers do 90% of the work in a dragstrip style lanch situation.

I've owned a zillion GM 4-link rear end cars over the years, starting with my old 69 GTO. The lower control arms and their bushings were always the first thing that caused problems as soon as you put sticky tires on the back.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Smokes said:
Will a good set of lower control arm bushings help?
i wouldn't bother,those stock control arms are kinda flimsy to begin with..pick up a set of aftermarket control arms,two birds w/one stone there.

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Don't forget to put an air bag in the passenger side rear spring. Thats all I did to mine and it worked well. I am going to put a new rearend in soon and plan on boxed uppers and lowers with poly bushings.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Less weight, sometimes. A tubular arm sometimes doesn't have provision for a rear sway bar either.

On a side note I may be making a run up to Pinckney this weekend to deliver a set of wheels.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Doober said:
Less weight, sometimes. A tubular arm sometimes doesn't have provision for a rear sway bar either.
my global west has the holes for it.their a stout product.the umi's do also.

81rustabu

Dragway Regular
Apr 16, 2011
pinckney,MI
I was looking at umi stuff. doob did u make it pinckney last weekend?

81rustabu

Dragway Regular
Apr 16, 2011
pinckney,MI
I will have to keep an eye out for it doob. Dont see to many gbodys in pinckney. I know one kid that has a elco and a cutlass.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts