Converter to Flexplate free play question

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
How much freeplay is allowed from the flexplate to the converter pushed all the way in? I want to say it's like 5/8"

I have about 1" and have been spacing accordingly, but I have had two transmissions, two motors, and two converters that fit the same. Seems like a lot fo free play, but I have NEVER had to shim until this car. Thoughts?

GM block, old converter th350 = about an inch
Gm block, JW converter, th400 = about an inch
Different gm block, jw converter, th400 = about an inch.
Am I worried for nothing?

A

Anonymous

I have never shimmed any converter, aftermarket/stall, or stock, unless I was using rear motor mounts/plate, then I only shimmed it the thickness of the plate between the block and the transmission.

You've got to remember that the converter also rides in the back of the crank as well as the front of the transmission/pump. When you torque on the motor, it's all going to move towards the rear some.

I wouldn't shim unless I knew I had something between the bellhousing and block and then I would only shim the same thickness.

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
I have seen almost 3/4" from the torque fully seated into the pump to the flyweel . No problem once bolted ! More than that would be a major problem !! 5/8" would be perfect ,but you are not supose to shim with aftermarket torque unless your running motor plate between the block and the trany

chris406

Amateur Racer
Jul 20, 2005
1. Push the converter all the way into the transmission.
2. Measure the gap between the converter pads and the pads on the flex plate.
3. Say the gap is .625". You want to pull the converter out .125"-.150" so split the difference and say pull out the converter .135" .625-.135= .490".
4. Pull the converter far enough to make the gap between the pads on the converter and the flex plate .490" This will give you the .135" clearance in the trans you need.
5. Shim as necessary.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts