the 200-4r crossmember, frame extension, and shipped to my door was $185

454mali

Dragway Regular
Jan 26, 2006
Cleveland OH
LS6 Tommy said:
454mali said:
DOUG213XRJ said:
You could get one form a older chevelle and buy a crossmember frame extension from summit or Jegs.

I think it has to be from a convertable or elcamino (boxed frame, shorter crossmember) Thats what i'm using but most I measured were too long.

Not only is the old A body X-member longer, it goes straight across & doesn't line up with the holes. Obviously you can drill new ones. Also, the frame on the G body doesn't reach far enough back & although I may very well be wrong, I don't think the aftermarket frame extension works. I can't say if there would be a better fit with a convertible or Elky X-member.

In any event, by the time you get done purchasing & modifying stuff, you could have bought an Icemember for less.

Tommy

Your right about the frame, I extended the ledge area all the way back to the middle body mount on both sides. The crossmember was the exact width, no shortning at all but like I said in my earlier post every other one I measured was too long and would have needed shortened. I did weld a 1/4" plate under both sides to correct the angle of the engine. Worked out good in my situation and I only paid 10 bucks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
454mali said:
Your right about the frame, I extended the ledge area all the way back to the middle body mount on both sides. The crossmember was the exact width, no shortning at all but like I said in my earlier post every other one I measured was too long and would have needed shortened. I did weld a 1/4" plate under both sides to correct the angle of the engine. Worked out good in my situation and I only paid 10 bucks

Cool, I learned something new. I would have almost put money on the A body X member being longer.

Tommy

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
Redline396 said:
jeg's brand cross member,$135.00 and no frame extensions.fit like a glove.

The one from jegs is what i got, i put it on friday night i coulden get it to fit with the rubber pieces that was on the old crossmember so i bolted it right to the frame . Is that ok to do? also i put both headers (flow tech) on from under the car i had to take off the oil filter, starter , and raise the trans a few inches . also removed the heat shield from pass side floor pan because it hit the collector. Had the exhaust put on yesterday, sounds great outside the car but a lot of vibration inside

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts