daily driver. LT1 or TPI?

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
So I have an opportunity to buy 2 complete cars for a song. Separate sellers and what not, but they are both the same price. First is a GTA firebird TPI 350. Second is a Firebird LT1. Both are auto (700R4/4L60E, respectively). The TPI is MAF, the LTI is speed density. I'm looking for the best overall setup for a daily driver type of application. My car is set up as a 80% street, 10% drag, 10% auto-x, road race setup. I don't need a billion horsepower, just the easiest swap from my carb'd 355/TH350 setup, and something that will start and run every day and get decent mileage.

Keep in mind, I'll have whichever I choose side by side with my malibu, so it should make it a bit easier.

I've looked online and found that people have had issues with the LT1 swap, so I'm leaning tward the TPI one. Anyone have experience doing this that I can bounce questions off of?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
For the easiest swap, it's the TPI, for the best all around combo it's the LT1. Neither are hard, but the LT1 will be harder to remove from the donor car and will cost a little bit more to get into your Malibu and up and running, but will provide the best results too. IDK what I'd do, that's a hard one.

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
The choice is not clear.

What kind of condition are the engine/trans in? The TPI sounds like a '88 or '89. The speed density LT1 sounds like a '93, but could be a little newer but with the MAF removed. If you are going to do your own tuning, the difference is important. The 94/95 LT1 are flash based, and need the software to re-flash the PCM if you want to change the tune. The 93 LT1 used a separate UVEPROM based ECM, but the ECM is hard to locate if it goes bad. The LT1 also has the distributor located behind the water pump, and those don't have the best reputation.

The L98 is MAF based, but could easily be changed to speed density using a 1227730 ECM, (just like the '90-'92 F-bodies) and the ECMs are almost as common as dirt. The problem becomes the PROMs are no longer available from GM. There are some options, but you will need to read up on this if you want to go TPI.

Scot

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
I cpmpleted my lt1 swap into my 78' bu about 6mos ago and it rocks! You can convert the lt1 over to maf(perhaps the tpi maf could work), and you can go with the 95' computer and optispark(preferably msd billet optispark) which is what I did. The maf plug can be added to the harness for about $20.00, trust me, its worth it.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
the only hard thing to do with a lt1 swap is getting the ac to fit. i had to notch the frame on my yellow wagon. but then again the motor was already pulled out when i went to get it

J@meson

Weekend Racer
Mar 15, 2008
Elizabeth City, NC
Jordan81 said:
the only hard thing to do with a lt1 swap is getting the ac to fit. i had to notch the frame on my yellow wagon. but then again the motor was already pulled out when i went to get it

not entirely true, you use Y body accessorys and brackets and it mounts the A/C on the top of the motor not the bottom, thats what im using to drop my LT1 in

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts