Dash cap question

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I bought a dash cap from azbob on e-bay, looks excellent. Tips on installing would be great :)

bustedknuckles

Frequent Racer
Jan 11, 2004
johnson city, tennessee
IIRC I got mine off Ebay. Been several years ago. Full cap. Removed dash, cleaned with TSP, can get at any store in paint section. Cut away any original dash that was cracked and sticking upwards. Painted around every edge with vinyl dye. If you look closely you can see where I missed. Got tube of silicone and covered entire dash around every edge. Put the cap on the original dash and used a million little spring clips around every edge with small pieces of thin furring strips to make sure everything gets secured. In my opinion it looked as good as original and most people couldn't tell the difference. Getting ready to do another on the new Malibu. Good luck
100_2915.jpg

100_2918.jpg

dash.jpg

100_2945.jpg

100_2934.jpg

100_2933.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2921.jpg

100_2914.jpg

100_2912.jpg

100_2913.jpg

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
bustedknuckles said:
IIRC I got mine off Ebay. Been several years ago. Full cap. Removed dash, cleaned with TSP, can get at any store in paint section. Cut away any original dash that was cracked and sticking upwards. Painted around every edge with vinyl dye. If you look closely you can see where I missed. Got tube of silicone and covered entire dash around every edge. Put the cap on the original dash and used a million little spring clips around every edge with small pieces of thin furring strips to make sure everything gets secured. In my opinion it looked as good as original and most people couldn't tell the difference. Getting ready to do another on the new Malibu. Good luck

I bought mine from Dixie Monte Carlo and it's made by Dash Top. It looks just like yours. The only fitment areas I did not like were the left side around the gauges, the right side vent and the top around the defroster vents. I trimmed the defroster vents to fit the cap and will have to trim a little to get the right side vent to fit. The problem on the left side of the gauges was that the cap was just a tad too big. If I pushed it down all the way on the top left corner the bottom left corner popped off. When I fit my dash cap I clamped it down on the top and bottom and it isn't touching in the middle. It could be because of my 35 year old dash though.

I trimmed the cracks, sanded and cleaned the dash and the cover and applied the glue supplied.

CAM00126_zpsr4sjc3cg.jpg

CAM00124_zpsll5gsvet.jpg

CAM00121_zpsfz8hcc2m.jpg

Then used lots of clamps to hold it tight.

CAM00120_zpsdk6ym6yw.jpg

CAM00119_zps5klmleqa.jpg

CAM00118_zpsqqem9evl.jpg

I'm satisfied with how it turned out.

This is how I trimmed the dash vents to the cap.

CAM00129_zpsmbmcbnmv.jpg

CAM00128_zps7kevnlop.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts