Detroit locker caracteristics

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
Camano Island, Washington
I just put a 9" in my Mal with a 4.11 Detroit Locker. In my case the car drives alot different with this rear end in it. I was wondering if the Locker is the case for the difference. I noticed if the car is not completely straight when you apply power. It seems to push the rear of the car in one direction. I do have a sway bar
and BMR conrol arms with ajustable uppers and poly bushings.
I have the same springs and shocks that were in it wth the 10 bolt.
It also wheels hops now.
It never did and of these things with the 10 bolt in it :x .
I'm sure all of these things can be rectified in time. Especially with the help and
insight of others who have been thru it before me. :?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
With a locker your axle has to in be dead straight & the front alignment good. Make sure your tire pressure is even, too. If it's the type of thing where it seems OK during normal driving but the car "shifts" when you get on the gas, check the rear supension bushings.

Tommy

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
The lower arms are BMR boxed with poly bushings. Upon looking at the upper bushings today. It looks like they came seperated from the metal sleeve (probably
caused by me pounding them in). Maybe that is causing it to walk. the pinion is
probably down 2 to 3 degrees. I'll try putting new upper bushings in again. This time
using some kind of pulling device :? . If that doesn't elieviate the problem. I'll probably look at getting a different type of carrier. I also don't like the rachet noise it makes when you go around corners. :roll:

59RAT

Frequent Racer
Nov 18, 2007
Port Saint Lucie Fl.
Something isn't right with yours. I run the locker in my wagon & the Impala. I have no noise except when I hit it hard in the Impala, I here it hit (solid upper bushings) but not the wagon. It likes to push a very little around conners but nothing like a spool. If you hit it hard on a turn be ready for a hand full, IF IT LIFTS THE FRONT END TO MUCH YOU ARE GOING STRIGHT NOT TURN!! Rod

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Project M said:
The lower arms are BMR boxed with poly bushings. Upon looking at the upper bushings today. It looks like they came seperated from the metal sleeve (probably
caused by me pounding them in). Maybe that is causing it to walk. the pinion is
probably down 2 to 3 degrees. I'll try putting new upper bushings in again. This time
using some kind of pulling device :? . If that doesn't elieviate the problem. I'll probably look at getting a different type of carrier. I also don't like the rachet noise it makes when you go around corners. :roll:

Just a personal issue, but I don't like poly bushings on triangulated 4 links. IMO they cause too much bind. All poly bushings turn to mush over time, too, so you'll eventually end up with a sloppy rear suspension again.

Tommy

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
The pumkin I bought was put together by Tex Racing (Nascar Parts Co.).
I bought it from a cup car company that went out of business. It's a very nice piece.
It has 400 miles or less on it. It looks to have been barely used.
It has a billet caps, billet 1350 yoke with pulley, ARP bolts, N case, 31 spline locker, Datona support, the gears are relieved and serialized and the ring gear bolts are lock wired.
I don't know if these nascar lockers are set up different. But it is noisy when
turing corners.
As far as the poly bushings go. I hate to go to solid bushings because it is not a full
on race car :? .

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Project M said:
The pumkin I bought was put together by Tex Racing (Nascar Parts Co.).
As far as the poly bushings go. I hate to go to solid bushings because it is not a full
on race car :? .

Tex racing made some good stuff. They did one of our T10s for us. As for bushings, if you don't mind spending the money, the Global West Delalum bushings & spherical bearings last forever, eliminate bind, slop & have no noise. They ride almost as good as stock rubber & only cost a little more than good solid bushing/heim joint setups.

Tommy

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
Thanks for the info on the Global west control arms. They look really nice.
I wish I would have spent the money on them instead of the BMR's I have
now. It will have to wait a while anyway. At least until us Boeing employees
go back to work. :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts