Distributor questions

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
I am sure there is thousands of answers out there for my question but I want to turn to the pros for the right answer. I recently installed a distributor in my car. 408 sbc. I double check my timing marks and pointers are accurate etc. With distributor out( after using piston stop to verify timing marks are correct) I got onto 12 degrees before tdc on compression stroke. I lined everything up on my ditributor ( oil shaft and rotor wise) and dropped it in. Vacuum advance however was in a crappy spot so I've got it pointing between cyl 5 and 7 which I know is unusual but I'm fine with it. So I dropped in at 12* b4 tdc, my rotor is pointing to number one cyl, I marked my cap so I know where cyl 1 is and I got all my plugs in the right order. She fires up no problem and seems fine. I can move distributor around to vary static timing no problem but have not set total timing yet. My plan was to Rev up till " all in " timing is acheived ( all with vacuum advance disconnected) and then set it to 36* . I'm guessing my static timing will change a bit. Am I on he right track?

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
My distributor is one of those performance world deals cause thats what came with my carb to pan motor. I'm not even sure it has any sort of adjustments I can make internally. If I set my total timing at 36 ish and my initial moves to 19 let's say does that rmatter?

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Distributors are adjustable. Don't know what your using your car for so I can't answer. My distributor is locked out and set to 36 deg at all times.

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
It's just a street car. Sunday cruise. Drive to work. Do doughnuts in front of my agreage dealio

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
In that case I would run both mechanical & vacuum advance (read the post Timing mech - vac a couple before your post) also google your distributor for info on it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts