Do I need this?

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
I recently put a 87 MC carb on my 79 305, its what I could find, the carb doesn't have the choke clean air or hot air pipe connections.... the car starts and runs but then cuts off.... do I need these for the car to run right?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Do you have an electric choke on that 1987 carburetor? If so, the car will start and then die when the car warms up and the choke doesn't open.

Also, a 1987 carburetor would have a mixture control solenoid. Does your car have a computer? If not, it will run very rich.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
You can "make" it run without them But It will be a pain in the Asss esp during cold weather.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
My car does not have a computer and it is a electric choke on the new carb... I guess im going to have to save and get the correct carb.. ive recently seen a price drop and could of bought one with what ive spent on the two rebuilds I purchased.... well back to the old drawimg board... thanks for the help...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You can use the electric choke; you just need to tap into a wire that is hot when the key is on. Your car should have had an electric choke when new, so you may find the wire you need is already nearby. It may be that the previous owner tucked it into the harness.

If you also have a mixture control solenoid, you aren't going to make it work well without the computer to regulate the primary needles.

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
My '79 Malibu had a hot air choke, no electric choke wire in the harness.
You would want to use hot in run power, but don't take it off the distributor power wire.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Interesting, my 79 Malibu Wagon had an OEM electric choke. It was a 200 chevrolet V6; perhaps different engine options came with a hot air choke?

Time to start studying some wiring diagrams.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
So I did the smart thing and bought the proper carburetor for the vehicle, only because they dropped the price 100.00 since tax time.. go figure... guess I have two carbs for sale now lol... I appreciate everyones help and advice... im just trying to keep the car running until I can find a LM or LQ motor set.... heres a good laugh for you. Found a 4.8
l from a wrecked Silverado on Craigslist, I asked for pics amd was told they wouldnt do me no good, so yeah I still dont have a motor lol

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
t5montecarlo said:
Interesting, my 79 Malibu Wagon had an OEM electric choke. It was a 200 chevrolet V6; perhaps different engine options came with a hot air choke?

Time to start studying some wiring diagrams.

It was a 305/turbo 350 car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!