Dominator carb help

RatDime

Frequent Racer
Oct 24, 2006
Ind
I run the 750 dominator carb, the car loads up at idle, I think the power vlaves are good, never hiccuped, but from idle to about 2000 rpm its pig rich, like, at 6-8 on the egt gauge, cruisin it is good, goes to 13.5 or so, I pulled the plugs out and the front 4 (2 on each side) the plugs are soaked, but porceilns look good, just gassy, and the back are good shape, Ive had this carb on and off, soaking it with carb cleaner and blowing out the passeges in the body, main blocks, air bleeds etc,. what am I missing?? the pump arms have 8-10 thou clearence, and I hooked a vacc guage up when running to double check the vacc pull,. what else is there? The truck runs and starts awesome, just below 2k rpm, its pig rich.....

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
really 750 doms are pretty poor performers.....Id rather see a 4150 750/850 on a car
then a 750 DOM any day of the week.....750 Doms are mostly for show,no go....

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
I tried a 750 Dom when they first came out and it was junk. I don't know if they've done anything to fix them since, but at the time they were for nothing more than looks.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
All 4500's have 50 cc primary accelerator pumps. Depending on what cam & nozzle combo you have, your problem may just be as simple as it's too much fuel volume during transition. BTW, I don't know if it's not part of your problem because a lot of things interact, but did you check the pump arm clearance check at WOT or closed? The Holley spec is .015-.020 @ WOT.

Holley more or less only made the 750 version of the 4500 for people who just HAD to have a Dominator under the hood, even if it meant not really running at peak tune. In any event, if your engine combo only requires the flow of a 750, you're WAY below needing any 4500, possibly even the 750. You're better off with an HP 750. It has the improved distribution characteristics of the 4500 without all the shortcomings.

Tommy

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
if you have a single plane intake that is most likely the reason it is so rich, it isnt getting the vacuum signal that it needs try a 1 inch four hole spacer and see it gets better. If you have a dual plane intake then it might be there isnt enough slot exposed.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts