Drag shocks on street, who's running em?

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I'm in the very near future going to work on my suspension. I'm going with cargo coils in the rear, non a/c v-6 springs up front and I wanna go with lakewood drag shocks 90/10 up front and 50/50 for the rear. I'm getting mixed reviews and someone suggested adjustable shocks. I'm hearing they are a pain on the *ss to adjust on our cars. Anyone running the shocks I'm thinking about ? It's a street/strip car. Thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I don't have any suggestions for drag shocks, but if you're going to use adjustable shocks, you'll need double adjustable shocks to set the compression & rebound separately. They're not cheap...

Tommy

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
IMO I wouldn't run the cargo coils as they are variable rate. I have always used stock springs and haven't had any issues. Old schoolers used to run a reg spring on driver and cargo on passenger to help with the g-body twist, along with the addition of an airbag on pass side. As for the 90/10 lakewoods, they been around a long time and I myself used to run them on the street with no problems but they are obviously not for u if ur planning on driving like ur racin on a road course like Watkins Glenn, LOL. The ones that are a pain in ur azz are the comp 3ways that can't be adjusted unless u remove them. Dbl adjustables are the end all answer but as tommy said-expensive. I actually have strange single adjustables on all 4 corners and they have been great. They have allowed me to dial in my launch and my reaction time. I went with the single adj since I didn't want to try all the different combinations that are capable of trying. And since my car always hooked, I was lookin for some more simple tuning that was able to be adjusted in the car with the turn of a knob instead of removing he shocks to do so. I see you are in Livonia, where are u planning on running? Empire dragway? I'll be there for the 1/8th mile shoot outs on Sundays. Look me up if ur goin there.

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
I have a 1978 montecarlo with comp. engineering 3-way adj. shocks,moroso trick springs cut one coil in the front.I have afco's dbl. adj. shocks with afco 12" spring in rear.trz anti-roll bar.Right now I'm adj. 3-ways.makes it a challenge to pull them out and change,i just set mine at 80/20 in front with new strange brake kit that only ways 8lbs.making me change to 60/40.I drive with no problems on street,I have rears in stock position drives fines just got watch low sewer lids,watch your angles,other than that I would put dbl. in rear be done one time.stay with cheaper 3-way adj. shock until your running really fast or have extra money.Go with moog rear spring or moroso trick springs in rear to keep some what factory ride height.

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
Yeah empire is where I go, it's great having the track so close to where I live. I've decided to go with lakewood drag shocks on all 4 corners, 90/10 ft and 50/50 rear. Moroso trick springs in the front. I do have the tricks in the rear now but bottom out with the kids in the back seat. I'll try the cargos as I have them and see what it does. My best was 12.20 spinning off line. Bought new drag radials so with all this, I hope to hook and get into the high 11's. Heck I'd be happy with 11.95 :)

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
well, your car makes more power than mine (by around 100 HP), and mine has gone 11.79. maybe that 700R4 is dragging it down some....but your car should hit 11's for fun.

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
The 700r4 may be doing just that, but on the flip side it gets out quick with the low 1st gear. The o/d is great with the 4.10 gears on the streets:) I just want the 11's, which is flying, for a true street car !

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts