Drop Spindles In A Drag Car

colt 45

Daily Driver
Jan 13, 2010
Evanston,Il
I have an 83 Monte Carlo aluminum headed bbc. Just recently installed a set of v6 moog springs #5598's and the car still sits high. I want to lower the car with 2in drop spindles but will it effect weight transfer? Can I still drive on the street and drag race at the same time?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Ever consider QA1 coilovers? Fully adjustable ride height, and you can adjust for rebound and compression. I love mine, but I'm actually into the whole pro-touring thing, rather than strictly drag.....

colt 45

Daily Driver
Jan 13, 2010
Evanston,Il
The coilovers is a nice setup but costly. I thought that the v6 springs with BBC would sit nice, but the bottom of the fender is about 2 to 3 in above tire.The springs are in the correct spot

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I have 2" drop spindles on my wagon {bellteck} And no problems at all. It's also a bbc. I had originaly put BB springs in the front and it was too high and stiff. Wound up going with small block springs and the 2" drop spindles sits real nicenow.

colt 45

Daily Driver
Jan 13, 2010
Evanston,Il
If u dont mind can u send a picture of your wagon so that i can get an idea about where mine should sit

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Sorry but the car is apart in the garage,small garage! I just took about 20 lbs or so off the front {put iceman radiator bracket on it}. Plus just redid rear springs, Moroso, and the car sits about 3" lower in the back. The car used to sit higher in the back than the front it now sits pretty much level and the lower control arms are parallel to the ground.

colt 45

Daily Driver
Jan 13, 2010
Evanston,Il
what rear springs did you use to lower your car 3in? My monte sits kind of high in the back and i have stock springs. If i use lowering springs, will it affect traction

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I put moroso trick rear springs in the back and it came down a good 3". My rear wheel well lip was about 2" above the tire {28x10 x15 }. Now its just above the side bulge on the slick, Had to trim the inside lip of the wheel well. I also switched to qa1 shocks. I'm trying to get the car to hook more consistantly. I had the original springs and ce 3way shocks on it before, and later added air bags cause the springs started sagging. Hopefully my 60ft's will improve.

colt 45

Daily Driver
Jan 13, 2010
Evanston,Il
Is it true that the moroso trick rear springs cause the car to lean to one side. Will those springs lower my rear about 3in. Your car is a wagon so i assume the tailend is a little heavier than my monte.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Yea the car will be slightly lower on the passenger side { not significantly} , the reason being the drivers side spring is taller than the other. When you go to launch the car everything is supposed to level off under torque. Now if you're using your car on the street I'd stay away from the Moroso spring and just use some regular lowering springs [eibach} or whatever. Is you're car a street and strip or strickly track? And yea I'm running a wagon. Everything made for a Malibu works on the wagon but need to remember the wagon is slightly heavier in the back {more traction}. And if you're gonna use moroso springs make sure you know how much the front of the car weighs and pick accordingly. I've seen guys buy the wrong spring and start cutting them and then they're yours for life. Hope I helped ya out Tom

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts