easiest way to wire electric fans

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
I want to do this mod to my el camino to save a bit of gas mileage, maybe free up a few hp. I don't know much about wiring and were to get what. I was figuring a fan from the junkyard...can you just run power from the fuse box? was thinking off of the a/c fuse(don't use the a/c). then what about turning it on and off? I'm not a genius so anything in stupid people terms would help me.

MC-84

Pro Stocker
Jun 1, 2006
Montreal Canada
not sure but cant you just wire it to the ignition in the fuse box so when the keys turned on fans got power.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I would not wire it straight to the ignition box, even through a relay. Especially in the south...id imagine the life of the fan would be shortened a bit if it ran continuously.

Go to http://www.becool.com and search for their wiring harness that comes with a thermostat and a 40A relay. Thats what ya want.

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
With the be cool kits do you need a be cool fan? i want to do this cheap and easy lol. Gonna find a fan out of the junkyard and see what i can do.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Steve84EC said:
With the be cool kits do you need a be cool fan? i want to do this cheap and easy lol. Gonna find a fan out of the junkyard and see what i can do.
Nope...you could use it to power anything 12v that uses less than 40A. Go get yerself a Taurus fan or ideally an LS1 f-body fan, or even the LT1 fans work good too I hear. You have lots of options really.

Depending on a few things like how much other electrical goodies you are running(amps, etc) and how long you expect to be sitting in traffic idleing on a hot day, and what kind of fan you get, you might have issues with a 63 amp alternator keeping up.

If you really wanna do it up 100%, id get an alternator for an 87 Camaro(assuming your running v-belts) which is usually a 105A or greater unit.

Oh, if you do two fans, you'll need another relay which Summit carries. Just something to keep in mind.

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
That sounds pretty simple with the kit. I'll probably just run one fan. Is this reall worth doing to the car? I always figured it would be.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Steve84EC said:
That sounds pretty simple with the kit. I'll probably just run one fan. Is this reall worth doing to the car? I always figured it would be.
Everyone has their opinion if its worth it. I think it is.

If you'll spend $200 for roller rockers to pickup 15 HP or whatever, why not spend less and get probably just as much, maybe more?

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
Just be wary of some fans. OEM fans from the junkyard can be very nice fans but the initial start-up current can zap most standard relays. For about the same money as a BeCool 40-amp relay kit, I can supply you with a HD 70-amp rated relay kit. It'll even handle the start-up draw of the 5000 cfm Mark VIII fans we use in the shop. When going with an electric fan, you really don't want to cut corners, especially an OEM fan-they can move quite a bit more air than your Summit brand electric fans in most cases.If you want, drop me a line and I can fill you in on what you need to do and you can go from there. -Jabin

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
A properly working clutch fan actually doesn't use that much power to run.

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
gmachinz said:
Just be wary of some fans. OEM fans from the junkyard can be very nice fans but the initial start-up current can zap most standard relays. For about the same money as a BeCool 40-amp relay kit, I can supply you with a HD 70-amp rated relay kit. It'll even handle the start-up draw of the 5000 cfm Mark VIII fans we use in the shop. When going with an electric fan, you really don't want to cut corners, especially an OEM fan-they can move quite a bit more air than your Summit brand electric fans in most cases.If you want, drop me a line and I can fill you in on what you need to do and you can go from there. -Jabin

pm sent on the relays

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts