edelbrock carb problem

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
hello, I have a performer series edelbrock carburetor manual choke 600cfm . On the first start up after it sits all night or even if it sits 5-6 hours its hard to start, i have to crank it alot and then have to keep throttling it for about 3-4minn before it will stay running, after that its run and starts great. this happens on warm or cold days and closing the choke helps some but not like it should . Im using a stock manual fuel pump no regulator. anybody had this problem ? if so how do i fix ? thanks

A

Anonymous

do you pump the gas pedal as you pull out the choke? if not your choke isn't actually closing all the way.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Throw the Edlebrock piece in the trash and get a Holley 600, or 670 Street Avenger with the electric choke and be done with it. SORRY, I HATE THE EDELBROCK CARBS. None of the four or five that I have had ever worked right. Always went back to a holley and problems went away. IMO, even a good Quadrajet is a better choice. Good luck with it.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I bought a brand new 500 cfm Edelbrock for my old 283, junk out of the box. So bad in fact you couldnt turn the idle mixture screws all the way in and the car would still runs exactly the same. Probably debris form manufacturing, but it shouldnt have come that way. I did have a similar problem on my car though, found out my rubber line from the sending unit to the line on the frame was rotted. Wouldnt leak gas but would suck air and cause VERY long crank times to fill the bowl back up and even fuel starvation on the top end. Simple and quick to check, give that a try.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I do agree that the fuel pressure is bleeding off and could be a bad fuel pump or regulator, depending if it's a manual pump or electric. But the bad running once it's started is probably the carb. Good luck!

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
malibulvr said:
I do agree that the fuel pressure is bleeding off and could be a bad fuel pump or regulator, depending if it's a manual pump or electric. But the bad running once it's started is probably the carb. Good luck!

It doesn't run bad ,like rough idle or missing , just hard to keep started after sitting for a long time , after that it runs good . the carb i had on before was a holley 600 and thats what i always used in the past and never had a problem, but with this one it always ran rich i changed the power valve , changed jets , adjusted the seats and it kept fouling plugs. I think the guy i bought it from, who said it might need a new power valve did some mods to it and screwed it up. Thanks for the replys

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I have the 1406, which is the electric choke version of the 600cfm. Edelbrock always ships their carbs rich out of the box, so keep that in mind in relation to what your engine size is and can intensity. I had to lower the jet level and the metering springs a notch to get it good on my 260 hp 350ci crate motor.
Mine did the some thing and still would if I start it wrong. Before I turn the key, I push the throttle in about an inch, hold for a second or two, and then release it, just to prime it. It starts perfect after this every time. It is electric choke, so I would close it all the way if it's manual and cold. Firing it up in a rich state won't hurt it unless it's flooded, that's why people want to pump it while they're turning the key. If it's cold, the choke will have to stay closed for quite a while anyway.

Still, if the previous owner modified it a bunch, I would go through it and set everything back to stock and start over. You should be able to get all specs for jets and springs and such out of the carb manual or probably online or something.

Another thing, depending on your intake manifold you're using, you may consider a carb spacer. I went a whole season falling on my face on launches because, I'm guessing there was too much turbulence underneath the carb. And since I put the spacer in, haven't bogged once.
Edelbrocks are not builders carbs, but can be adjusted to work decent if you want to take the time to get to know how they work and play with them. I'm the kind of person who likes to go fast the non-typical way, just because, so I've spent a lot of time with my Edelbrock carb.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem with my edelbrock everytime i shut it off it i had to crank and crank to get it started the fuel was boiling out so i installed a phenolic spacer to keep the heat off of it now it works great if you are using a mechanical pump you may want to put in a high torque starter as this will spin the engine over faster and get fuel to your float bowls faster. Also there are bad castings on all brands of carbs i have yet to find a holley that was worth a damn good luck!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts