Edelbrock shocks and wheelhop

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
I keep chasing wheelhop in my elcamino, no matter what I seem to have worse hop than other guys with the same trailing arms, bushings, springs, etc.

One constant are a pair of edelbrocks that have been on it from the start. Beginning to wonder if it's the "patented inertia valving". I hear everyone say to just use a quality 50/50. And I'm wondering if in a wheelhop situation the edelbrock inertia valve system is jacking their response to a much different split than 50/50 and aggravating it.

This car wheelhops a bit different than some other hoppers I've owned. It almost feels like the rear suspension goes solid. Which is strange because it's got rubber bushings and moroso drag springs in an effort to escape the bind that's so common with modified stock suspension. It's soft and seems to work real well, when it's not hopping like crazy.

The front has hotchkiss lowering springs with 90/10 shocks and an unhooked sway bar.

Watching video of the car launch, you can see the tires instantly hop & unload when the clutch comes out. Even wiht hot drag radials, there's just no stepping off that clutch above 2000 if you want it to launch instead of spin or hop. I'm getting frustrated and about to do something drastic.

Thoughts??

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
All I did was leave my old shocks and stock control arms and installed Lakewood no-hop bars and it worked wonders for my car. It rides a little rougher over the bumps and dips in the road now but it launches hard and straight with no wheelhop.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Bump.

Some stock car friends just offered me a pair of bilstein 50/50s that they don't like for that application. Any opinions from a drag race guy about bilsteins? They're notoriously stiff and G bodies are notorious for liking soft rear spring rates.

Plan A, bilsteins
Plan B, build adjustable upper arm relocation brackets.

First snow of the year just fell and already jonesing to get the car out of winter storage :(

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts