EFI or HEI LS1

Bratly51

Dragway Regular
Dec 3, 2003
Joliet, IL
Engine guy builds ASA circle track motors and they use an HEI distributor. I think that just makes everything easier, but I do not know if I should put the heat and ac back in the car and make a bad *ss driver? What do you guys think?

deuce_454

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
i think that having a car that doenst have heat or defrost is stupid... you dont need AC to make it a driver... and it sounds to me like you are in the middle of somthing expensive.. changing direction in th emiddle of a build

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm a little confused... is this just a general question? It's in the LSx area :lol: IMO I'd also stick with at least heat if I'm making a driver out of a car. A/C makes the defrost more effective though because it helps pull moisture out of the air and dries the windshield faster.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
Id do the simple bolt on carb swap with the MSD ignition. the HEI conversion isnt cheap and its going to run the same but cost alot more.

Bratly51

Dragway Regular
Dec 3, 2003
Joliet, IL
Basically I am doing a LS1 build and do not know to keep it has is with the EFI, or going with the MSD carb setup, or the carb setup with an Hei ignition.

455_82malibu
Did you look into the HEI setup before you did your swap?

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
no, you need the conversion front cover, then a good distributor, and youll still need the intake..so why not just run the MSd and be done with it.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Thats a question that I have had, whats better the msd little red box or to get the front cover and plug a ford dizzy in it?

You can get the intake by its self and buy the front cover for about the price of the msd stuff. I bet you can find an old hei ford dizzy at a swap meet for next to nothing so the cost should be around the same.

Also another point is that this gets rid of the coils, I bet you could ebay those for the price of the distributor.

It comes down to what is better and I have never seen any testing or even opinions on this, whats yalls take?

for those that havent seen a pic of one here ya go
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=180629

BTW Soggin Dickeys sell this for about $390 ;)

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I like the new msd box for $310, nitrous retard, stutter box delay, you can tune all your advance curves on a laptop or just plug a pill in and go.

A

Anonymous

The distributer is made by pro comp and only costs $90.00 direct. It might be a more cost effective way to use the dizzy.

http://www.procompelectronics.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_2_88&products_id=747&osCsid=efbb25f0cb33053abf173a8d55c36e13

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts