EFI or HEI LS1

A

Anonymous

I think retrofitting an LS with a distributer & removing the coil per plug arrangement would be a step backward.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Norhwert, what does the coil on plug set up have over the distributer? I have never been around anything with a set up like a lsx has so feel free to teach me.

Doober Im not sure there are, lol. I havnt heard of any one running one, but I guess that doesnt mean much.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm guessing somebody is and there's at least a little demand, otherwise they wouldn't have these covers. It might be a step backward, but it's also less electronics to wire up for someone who doesn't want to run the control box/coils. Plus, it has provision for a mechanical pump.

A

Anonymous

We take steps backwards so we can include people without the funds and knowledege. Putting a carb on is the biggest step bacward as for the distributer... Who knows. Now you can bolt the new style engines in something without making a wire harnes or need a computer.

A

Anonymous

T5MalibuWagon said:
Norhwert, what does the coil on plug set up have over the distributer? I have never been around anything with a set up like a lsx has so feel free to teach me.

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough about these engines to teach anyone much of anything.

I do know that if it didn't provide a significant improvement the factory would not have spent the R&D $'s to develop it.

If you think about the job that a coil & distributer are asked to perform it's pretty amazing that it works as well as it does. Especially the coil. The primary side of the coil is supposed to absorb so much energy in such a short time. Then the energy jumps to the secondary side where it is amplified in the process & is sent on it's way to the spark plug. Just think about how fast that rotor is spinning in the distributer & that will give you an idea of how little time the coil has to perform & repeat this step.

Now the energy travels down the plug wire to the plug. There will always be a certain amount of line loss before it gets there to set off our little explosion. :lol:

So if we reduce our line loss by mounting the coil as near the plug as possible & we now have a coil per plug that in our V-8 example now has 8X the amount of time to absorb energy on the primary side. Just think how much the quality of the spark has improved.

Of course we haven't even touched on the job requirements of a distributer & all the obstacles it must overcome to perform. :lol:

With all that being said... I have to admit that all those coils on top of the valve covers really have a cluttered look compared to what we are used to. The LS engines are kind of homely.

If you did convert to a distributer would that allow you to pre-lube the engine with a drill before the initial start, like is done with the older engines?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Doober said:
I'm guessing somebody is and there's at least a little demand, otherwise they wouldn't have these covers. It might be a step backward, but it's also less electronics to wire up for someone who doesn't want to run the control box/coils. Plus, it has provision for a mechanical pump.

Ya I know what you mean, they wouldnt make it without demand. I just havent seen anything on one run.

Where did you see a provision for a mechanical pump? I think I missed this?

North, you make some good points, thanks for the reply.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Bigtime said:
We take steps backwards so we can include people without the funds and knowledege. Putting a carb on is the biggest step bacward as for the distributer... Who knows. Now you can bolt the new style engines in something without making a wire harnes or need a computer.

I know that the carb is a step backwards for a lot of things but from the dyno test that I have seen there is up 50hp to gain. Thats no step backwards.

A

Anonymous

there should be no horsepower found or lost between carb and fuel injection. The injection will be more driver friendly and a bit cleaner on the emissions but nothing else. If someone found 50 horsepower from going to a carb over fuel injection something was wrong.

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
Bigtime said:
there should be no horsepower found or lost between carb and fuel injection. The injection will be more driver friendly and a bit cleaner on the emissions but nothing else. If someone found 50 horsepower from going to a carb over fuel injection something was wrong.

shrug.gif I think that they gained a little over 40hp with just a carb swap unless I missed something?

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0702gm_ls2_engine_l92_heads/photo_08.html

A

Anonymous

carb or fuel injection will make the same power maybe a horse or 2 different. I don't know what you posted but I'm sure it wasn't apples to apples.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts