engine backfire.

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
Today when started my car it started backfiring through the exhaust while idling , not constant but intermitently. I pulled the valve covers and checked the rockers and locks all was ok . when i rev the engine and let off its not backfiring , just while idling . could this be caused from a bad coil ? Also the last time i drove the car was saturday and it ran fine . Its a 350 with a H.E.I Thanks.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Does it have full exhaust or does it stop at the rear axle ?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
t-money80 said:
Stops at the axle .
Somtimes exhaust will pop with old mufflers and no tailpips. I wouldnt worry about it if its smoth driving down the road.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
DOUG213XRJ said:
t-money80 said:
Stops at the axle .
Somtimes exhaust will pop with old mufflers and no tailpips. I wouldnt worry about it if its smoth driving down the road.

Never heard this before^^^^^^??

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Is it a backfire or just a light puff/pop out the pipes?

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
when idling it has a faint pop/ping sound that sounds like its in the muffler. I checked some things and drove it now its starting to run rough and is missing at idle. If i rev it half way it gets better but still not like it should be. Tomorrow ill pull the plugs if they look ok i will do a compression check. This motor only has about 300 miles on it and has been runing good. Thanks

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I would check the plugs, wires and cap/rotor. Might be a burnt boot or wire causing it...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!