Engine Break In

Canadian78

Dragway Regular
Jan 4, 2007
Maple Ridge,Canada
I will be starting my engine for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I have heard a bunch methods. Just wondering the proper procedure and some hints and what not. Like what type of oil to use ,etc.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I'd say the most important item is priming the engine! Use a drill and pump shaft and try to get as much oil pressure as possible! Hook up a timing light and upon starting, set timing.Watch oil pressure! Then run engine for a half hour varying engine speeds. Run it at about 2500 rpm. I use pennzoil 10-40 oil. After running or breaking in dump oil and filter and change! Any debris in the motor will be flushed out in break in oil! After this you can recheck timing adjust carb etc. This is how I normally break in my motors, I'm sure other guys have different methods. You may also want to check with your engine builder on his recommendations. After this I generally check trans fluid and take the car for a ride to check things out like shift linkage and other things. Hope this helps Wagondude

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
flat tappet cam? if so use some joe gibbs or royal purple breakin oil. comp cams makes some good additive to add to oil. and all the stuff that was said before is true

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
All I would add to this is (only because I have made the mistake myself) is not to get too caught up in the moment. Keep a close eye on all critical guages. I nearly shelled an engine by letting it get too hot while I was high-fiving my Dad in the driveway while running in the cam. The thermostat had not opened!! I have never forgotten that mistake.

On another note, I have heard the best way to seat piston rings is a good hard run down the track. Not sure if that is true or not, but that is basically what I did since mine is a trailered car that I could not toodle around town in for 500 miles.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Like said above. Make sure you prime the engine. You can rent or buy the tool from autozone,murrays.etc. Make sure the tools is on properly or you will be mistaken for getting no oil pressure. When you reinstall the distriburor,make sure it is also properly installed and KEEP your eye on the guage for oil pressure when you turn it over.Like said above,I almost ruined a engine also because I didnt have the distributor all the way down and I had no oil pressure.Good luck,keep us posted!

Garage Hound

Frequent Racer
Jun 22, 2005
Independence, MO
You can also make the tool if you have an extra distributor laying around. I just removed the gear and all of the guts on an old stock one I had. Then I added a piece of fuel line to the top of the shaft and inserted a bolt in the other end. The bolt could then be engaged by a drill. Spin it until you see oil all through the head valleys.

maitstoy

Amateur Racer
Oct 20, 2008
Sarnia, Ontario , Canada
you can go to your local dealership or parts store and get E.O.S (engine oil suppliment) Most oils made now a days don't have the additives in them. Definately worth the $8.00

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!