Fastest and strongest 7.5"?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I want to run my 7.5" rear for as long as I can... What is the fastest anyone of you have run yours? ET's and MPH's? And what combos are you running... N/A, Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous, Manual transmission, Automatic Transmission, transmission brake, foot brake... HP and Torque numbers... Pro-touring or Drag... Daily driver, or trailer queen? Also, do you think rear gear ratio would have any affect on how durable the rear is, since it enables the rear to take advantage of a higher torque range of the engine? And what is the weakest link of the 7.5", what is the first to go out and what would be a good way to fix/prevent it for a while?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
buy aftermarket 28 spline axles, an aluminum support cover, tubular control arms, and i'd advise NOT to use a mini spool. there are many weak links...stock axles, spider gears, and ring gear.

there was a guy on YB saying he's been 10.60's on a 7.5!! i'd love to know what he did to make it last through that.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Do I need an aftermarket carrier to go with the 28 spline axles? Where do I get them?

I'm using a powertrax locker, but not a mini spool... so the spider gears have already been eliminated... do you think this locker will put excess strain on the axles? So should I get REALLY strong axles or just relatively performance oriented ones?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Here is a couple ideas I have already found that could help a little...

the aluminum support cover, like you said, and these axle tube braces are some pretty trick additions...

http://www.lpwracing.com/p_axletubebrace.asp

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i say you should put better axles in it and c clip eliminators if you plan to race the car at all. not much fun chasing your tire and axle down the track after it comes out of the car when it breaks! i know...i did it!!

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
wouldn't even do it, for the money you would have into it you would be alot better off just gbuying a 8.5" or a 8.8 from a ford

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
rjleiker said:
Do I need an aftermarket carrier to go with the 28 spline axles? Where do I get them?

I'm using a powertrax locker, but not a mini spool... so the spider gears have already been eliminated... do you think this locker will put excess strain on the axles? So should I get REALLY strong axles or just relatively performance oriented ones?

i looked into the powertrax locker too. if you have one already, you must use the axles that are splined for the locker.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah, if you have 26 spline axles now, you're stuck with them unless you want to buy a new powertrax unit. THAT would be a complete waste of money, IMO.

what are you running this in?

A

Anonymous

playing with a 7.5 is like sleeping with a hooker, eventually youll get caught,or catch something bad...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
What are you going to be doing more... racing it or driving it?

I'm going to be driving mine, so I'm building the 7.5 for now. You can get 28-spline axles from Summit for about $240. I'll probably get something like a Detroit TruTrac for mine, cover support, etc.

If I blow it up, oh well, just means I'll get a stronger rear then.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!