Father/Son '79 Malibu project has started! (Part 1)

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
MalibuRacing said:
That is my main concern. I was 16 once, and I was definitely a daredevil, so I'm fully aware of what I could be possibly facing. I'm hoping that since he has a big investment (labor) into the car, he'll take better care of it. At least think twice about doing something stupid. We'll just have to see how he does. With teenagers, it's always a crapshoot. You raise them the best you know how, but they have to spread their wings eventually. I'll just need to keep a close eye on him....

exactly, thats what i'm hoping too, that he will be investing so much time into it & work, that he'd think twice about temptation to show off or w/e

maybe once the car is done, take to him & the car to one of them like track days for young drivers that teach car control, that way he learns & finds out the cars limits in a safe enviroment with an instructor

malibuplotter

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2005
layton utah
my dad made me build my malibu (first car) i did get it running 14's and i was very responsible with the car, i was prodded by my buddies alot to race other cars in the area that were known to be fast, there was one incident when i raced a new cobra mustang.. my dad was riding shotgun and he told me to lol, anyways my dad did help out alot but ultimately if it broke it was up to me to fix it, those were good times and i've been addicted to bu's since, i've even got my parents into gbody's.

you're son will never forget the memories you and that car are going to provide for him... i never did

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
my dad passed away when i was 15, we never got to enjoy this hobby together :cry: we built model cars when i was a kid and he would tell me storys about him and his brothers and they're cars. he once owned a 69 torino with the big 428 cobra jet, saw some pics, it was a pale yellow with styled steel wheels. anyway, he was no mechanic, but i like to think he would be proud of the cars that my cousin and i have built. sure wish he was still around. enjoy the time with your son, these are memories he will always treasure, and he doesn't even know how much yet, but he will.

Stg1Regal

Weekend Racer
Mar 21, 2004
Eastern ,IN
www.cardomain.com
My son is now 14 his mother & I our divorced,

Yet when I gethim for the weekends we do any thing car related, work on my Regal( wich he has helped extinsively on), or go to a show or cruise ins.

Lately hes been burning up my computer looking for G-body project, a Malibu, El Camanio,Monte, Or Buick Regal.

This summer he is staying with me , and getting a job hopefully working with me

The paychecks he gets are going to a purchase of a G-body of some sorts.

Kid you not, he's even looking at Malibu wagaons, he frequents this site regularly, and loves the wagons on this site.

Thanks Guys

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Stg1Regal said:
My son is now 14 his mother & I our divorced,

Yet when I gethim for the weekends we do any thing car related, work on my Regal( wich he has helped extinsively on), or go to a show or cruise ins.

Lately hes been burning up my computer looking for G-body project, a Malibu, El Camanio,Monte, Or Buick Regal.

This summer he is staying with me , and getting a job hopefully working with me

The paychecks he gets are going to a purchase of a G-body of some sorts.

Kid you not, he's even looking at Malibu wagaons, he frequents this site regularly, and loves the wagons on this site.

Thanks Guys

Brings a tear to my eye :D :D :D I hope my son (currently 2½) is like that when he's older, looks like he's certainly on his way there right now. Always wants to help when I'm working on something (his mom & I aren't together either) be it the truck or a computer, he also loves it when I gas it in the truck :D

A

Anonymous

Il never forget the time me and my dad spent building my car. Thoughs are pricless moment to keep and where the best times with my dad. Of course we fought about what should be what or where and about whos right, but thats what brings my dad and me closer to each other. My dad lives a busy life, and with it being just me and him(divorce), he still makes time to spend with me on my car or just talking about cars. He will defently understand how valuable the car is when its done. I always had the, wana race everyone idea in my head but my car is much to valuable to reck over a stupid reason. Racing on the street dosnt make you cool, learning to say no and let the ricers embarass them selfs does. Good thing is you got him into classics amd muscle!! You can be proud of that for sure.

malibumick

Pro Stocker
Jul 8, 2003
pontiac, michigan
www.geocities.com
my old man passed when i was 15 also. 1 of the last things he said to me were " we're going to build a hot rod when i get out of here." well, that never happened. so, it's up to me to carry on the legacy.
he was a very good mechanic. i watched and learned alot from him. too bad he was always drunk. i never wanted to spend any time with him. :cry: now, yea, i kind of regret it. but, the build go's on!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
malibumick said:
my old man passed when i was 15 also. 1 of the last things he said to me were " we're going to build a hot rod when i get out of here." well, that never happened. so, it's up to me to carry on the legacy.
he was a very good mechanic. i watched and learned alot from him. too bad he was always drunk. i never wanted to spend any time with him. :cry: now, yea, i kind of regret it. but, the build go's on!

Your story kinda makes me think of lester622 and the engine that used to be his dad's.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!