Finally got it running!

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Well since the weather is getting really nice, I hooked up my exhaust before breaking in my engine. Well I got it started and it ran really good through break-in but there was 1 small problem. Ok maybe 3 o4 simple problems. I ended up only breaking in so far for about maybe 10 minutes.

I guess I didnt get the timing cover on right becuase it started leaking right at the bottom which it has never before.I didnt put the rubber seal at the bottom because it was hard enough to get on without it.
Well I noticed my lower radiator hose started leaking. I just happened to have the wrong size, its hard to find what I need my radiator has smaller inlet at the bottom than the water pump and its also one of those rubber flex hoses. My radiator isnt as wide as the original.

Also I had the wrong length bolts in the thermostat housing which caused that to leak a little.Then my fuel pressure regulator fittings dripped oh so slowly.

It just feels like all of my winter's hard work has let me down. I just say to myself "greatness and perfection comes with patience". But that doesnt change the fact Im still pissed! I think Ill wait a week or 2 before I decide to operate on this thing again.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Dude, any project will have bugs and unforseen issues, just the nature of things. Just stick it out and tackle them logically one at a time and you'll be making noise and smoke before you know it.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Thats so true.

Man,thats a funny @$$ quote you got in your avatar.lol

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Hey man don't sweat it. Me and my father scrambled over the course of a weekend to take out my goodwrench 350 and th350 out of my Malibu that we picked up a couple weeks earlier. We had a couple slight issues, car would never run right, the fuel line from the pump got too hot and ran like crap when it warmed up. It'd leak trans fluid like mad when I didn't drive it. The cam was too big and I didn't have a cannister on the car so we'd have to pop it in neutral while braking. All of the intake bolts on the passenger side werent tight when we first started it up so it squirted antifreeze. The dist. was 180° off when we first started it up and shot a flame out the top.

Just don't give up. If you can make it through all of these problems, then you know that later down the road it'll just be that much easier to tune and repair, as well as upgrade anything.

You need to get right back out there tomorrow and start tackling these problems. It's really easy to side track when things aren't going your way. I beleive someone from the Camaro forum I used to visit said, "If things aren't going your way, call it a day!"

Like cutlass389 said just logically think about everything, fix the cause not the concern.

dave

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2004
Napanee, Ont
hey gbodyera i went thought the rad hose thing to when i put the new aluminum rad in my car my parts store got me the flex hose with 1 3/4 ends which i needed sounds like you need 1 3/4 at the water pump and 1 1/2 at the rad talk to your parts store just check your in case i am wrong and check how long your rad hose is to hope this help

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Yeah. I have the flex hose already for the lower and upper. The only one with the problem is the lower hose. These things are so stiff. It barely wants to bend so it kind of comes off the lip of the w. pump. letting some coolant leak out.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
the stock hose is bigger on the water pump end than on the rad end. i use a stock upper and lower.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts