Flywheel bolts..Assebly lube or loctite

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Depends on the bolt. ARP specifically says DO NOT use washers under their bolts. I also have used red loctite on all my engines.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
No offense to any of the above replies, but GM uses NO washers or chemical locking compounds for SBC or BBC. flywheels. OEM flywheel bolts are designed to stay tight from interference fit between the faces of the bolt & flywheel. That's why there's a raised, trued surface on the bottom of the bolt head, so it "mates" without the bolt flats digging into the flywheel. Star lock washers, internal or external tooth, are a good way to lose a bolt in this application. They're too soft. They crush & the bolt loses it's tension & comes loose.

I can't honestly say what they use on the newer engine designs.

Tommy

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Tommy,
I'm afraid T5 is right GM uses star locks on all their flywheel bolts,I had a brain cramp and forgot!! KillerDave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Killerdave8813 said:
Hey Tommy,
I'm afraid T5 is right GM uses star locks on all their flywheel bolts,I had a brain cramp and forgot!! KillerDave

I kind of made a confusing statement. I should have said GM never used star washers. My post read like I meant they never used any washers. I've never found star washers on the flywheel on any OEM GM engine I ever worked on. GM sometimes used no washers. My LS6 had no washers right out of the crate from GM. It may depend on the bolts used. In my experience, when GM did use a washer it was a split washer, not a star washer. Star washers are for "soft" substrates like cast iron, bronze, plastic...

Anyway, sorry for not completeing my thoughts well on the screen!

Tommy

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hmmm,Interesting as I bet if I started diggin though my junk I could find at least 50 flywheel and or flexplate bolts and the lock washers to go with them,Later

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Every one I have seen used star lock washers. Even the GM picture shows a star lock washer (see my prior post of the parts book picture).

I am not doubting the LS6, but when was it made? Perhaps assembly techniques changed over time and Loctite was used in more recent assemblies?

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
I can personally attest to a thin star washer on nearly all older flexplates. I have removed 2 flexplates this week on Small Block engines. I do not recall if the factory Manual transmission flywheels use this star washer. The GM star washers are very tough and designed for the job at hand. No problems with splitting like hardware store split washers. Again this pertains to flexplates though.

Later.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts