Front and rear suspension?

84ta406

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2008
Worcester, Mass.
I should be picking up a 86 regal within the next week, but I had a few questions. Ive got a few pictures, can someone tell me how the suspension in this car is going to work or what I would hafta do? I dont see anywhere to mount shocks/struts/springs. I know the car has a 9", ladderbars etc but I just dont see where everything mounts?

regal001.jpg

regal002.jpg

regal007.jpg

regal008.jpg

A

Anonymous

It looks to be a coil over suspension front and rear and they simply put solid bars in place where the coil overs were.

84ta406

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2008
Worcester, Mass.
So the solid "yellow" bar in the back is where the rear coil overs will go and the front is from the lower arm to the upper arm where that solid bar is?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I believe that is what it is meant to be. Except it appears to me the front bar goes from the lower arm to the roll bar? That is where the coil over goes on front. And the back is what you said.

Is it the same on both sides? If so, I believe they took the expensive coil overs and kept them and put the bars in just so it would stay up off the ground and roll around.

A

Anonymous

Also, looks like you'll be needing axles and a chunk for that 9 inch. It looks like they just put a bar in from side to side to roll around?

84ta406

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2008
Worcester, Mass.
Yeah its the same on both sides. Is that a safe spot to mount the coils on the arm like that or should I mount it to the lower part of the cage?

I already have a 3rd member, need to get some axles and brakes as well.

A

Anonymous

I don't feel like I can say something is safe or not from pics. It all looks pretty homemade to me, but I'm not a chassis guy and certainly couldn't tell you what the geometry should be.

However, looking at the front end setup, I don't see where else you could mount the coilovers. Did the PO actually race it?

I'm wondering, looking at the upper and lower arms, if you will even be able to get the alignment right. It's interesting, but maybe some others on here, who are racing, will have more insight on the suspension.

I'm just an old circle track guy.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
84ta406 said:
Yeah its the same on both sides. Is that a safe spot to mount the coils on the arm like that or should I mount it to the lower part of the cage?

I already have a 3rd member, need to get some axles and brakes as well.

Are you referring to mounting it to the snout bar on the cage? You have no choice but to mount in there, with those lower control arms you wouldn't be able to find a spring/shock combo short enough to work otherwise.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts