Fuel Sending unit for Wagon

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Install an Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump system and be done with it. No screwing around, and it will fit in any gas tank. Loss of fuel pressure is a thing of the past, as are most problems related to fuel delivery. System uses a built in baffle to keep the pickup submersed in gas even down to a gallon in an average tank. The pump will also support 1200 horsepower, so I think most of us are covered, lol!

500 bucks, not cheap for sure. I wonder if that kit is tall enough for the wagon tank?

philadelphia

Oct 11, 2013
I looked into it last month but the cost is nuts..I have the filter housing, and after buying two good used pumps id be at 200 bucks. The car will never see any performance mods so the big pump isnt really needed. Im just driving this car to work every dy thats 3 miles away and occasionally back to brooklyn right over the bridge..Im surprised i went the LT1 route but couldnt pass it up for the cost.

Josh Hanna

Daily Driver
Jan 30, 2014
Coral Springs Florida
My brother inlaw is running a sender out of a astro van with his turbo set up and its the same sending unit…i can try to get a part # for you if you would like?

philadelphia

Oct 11, 2013
Cool beans brother. Let me know. Im headed to a pull a part in scranton in the AM.. Its small but they have MDT and HDT parts. I need a acelerator pedal for my international and id like to find some 120 gallon tanks while im there..

Im hoping they still have some astro vans with the cpi engines..The older astro pumps just have the pump installed.. For me to be happy is need to get a newer pump assmbly from the 98+ vans..It has the integrated baffle and the assembly is spring loaded to stay at the bottom of different tanks.(oems saving cash). But from what i know they are larger in diameter.

All else fails im back to the acumulator/filter housing fed from a TBI intank pump and a high pressure pum down the line.. The filter will hold a quart of fuel so it should be ok when the fuel tank fuel sloshes away from the pickup.

Josh Hanna

Daily Driver
Jan 30, 2014
Coral Springs Florida
philadelphia said:
Cool beans brother. Let me know. Im headed to a pull a part in scranton in the AM.. Its small but they have MDT and HDT parts. I need a acelerator pedal for my international and id like to find some 120 gallon tanks while im there..

Im hoping they still have some astro vans with the cpi engines..The older astro pumps just have the pump installed.. For me to be happy is need to get a newer pump assmbly from the 98+ vans..It has the integrated baffle and the assembly is spring loaded to stay at the bottom of different tanks.(oems saving cash). But from what i know they are larger in diameter.

All else fails im back to the acumulator/filter housing fed from a TBI intank pump and a high pressure pum down the line.. The filter will hold a quart of fuel so it should be ok when the fuel tank fuel sloshes away from the pickup.
It needs to be a 1994 with a throttle body i think he got his from rock auto

philadelphia

Oct 11, 2013
Are you sure he went with a 94 TBI pump assembly. While with a quick MPFI pump swap like the Ep242 i could see it work but whats done when the tank is low and you do a panic stop or turn a sharp corner..
getimage.php

Where as if you go up a few years the in tank pump comes with a integrated baffle and reservoir. Its spring loaded to stay firmly at the bottom of the tank. I see this as long at the assembly fits into the hole in the tank ie; same diameter and flange thickness for the lockring to clamp. Should hold the same amount of fuel as the aftermarket peice and without the tank mods.Im guessing 20-30 seconds behind my stock motor.
getimage.php

By building the accumulator while complicating things with fuel pump relays, a few more fittings and more involved fuel line routing its performing the same as a baffled system. The HVLP pump feeds the filter housing and fuel filter.Any air bubbles rise to the top and get ran back to tank via the Tee in the added fitting on the side of the housing.Return fuel pushes the air back into the tank. The HVHP EFI pump is pulling fuel from the outlet of the filter housing which has a 3/8"( in my case) X 4" nipple tapped with 3/8 NPT threads into the center of the filter housing. This keeps pickup tube for the high pressure pump always in fuel without air.If it low pressure pump sucks air then fuel the engine doesn't stall until the filter runs dry. During momentary fuel starvation before the accumulator air rushes out of the internal pick up tube keeping the engine running as its supported by the efi high pressure pump.
FuelSys3.jpg

philadelphia

Oct 11, 2013
wound up building my own acumulator twin pump setup. Got the high pressure inline pump from summit, Grabbed a cheapie mr gasket carb pump with a return style regulator(although i didnt use it). I used the old hydraulic system filter from my crawler. Grabbed a napa 4006 fuel filter. Tapped the center for a 3/8" npt nipple, opened up the pressure ports to 1/4". Cobbled together a bunch of 3/8" 4000 psi hoses and fitting laying around to hose it up.

For the return i used the factory feed line from up front to the rear axle then swapped over to the vent line for the tank.Installed new EFI pressure hose and while i was at it installed an inertia switch from a ford. The inline pump in by the forward lower control arm mount and i ran hose up the the fuel rails.

It prrimed in less than 10 seconds and running free flow with the feed pump shut off the engine pump poured fuel out for 40 seconds. Then within seconds the feed pump primed the acumukator again and bled any air out to the retrun line as it should.

Should work great and no stalling when the tank is low..
blog_attachment.php

blog_attachment.php

blog_attachment.php

blog_attachment.php

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts