G-body bell housings anyone???

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
just curious i have new 11" clutch etc i bought a stock 486 11" truck bell just wondering if it could be modified like the others you are doing

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yep,
I took a pile of bell housings over to the guy I use for heli-arc (aluminum welding) and as soon as the first one is done, I'll have a price. He acted like the more I had to do, it would be a little cheaper, since he would only have to set up the mill once to counter bore and tap the new hole. I am going to see how much he charges as opposed to doing it myself (I gotta' keep my heli-arc guy afloat, who else can weld up heads and intakes?)

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
is that a yep to my question i am wondering if it will be worth it i am in the process of buying a 606 for $100 and i have a g-body fork just curious if the 486 bell mod would be worth the $$ i wouldnt mind runnin the 12" thanks

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, I guess that depends.
My 12" is a -756 out if a truck.
The 606, to the best of my knowledge only works with the 10.5 inch clutch.
The 697 works with the 11 inch clutch.
I have never seen a 10.5 inch flywheel for 454, sure, if it was a 396-402-427 you could just use a small block flywheel, maybe add a balance weight from a 383/400 SBC crank to make it work with a 454.

So, if you're running a small motor, with a small flywheel...no issues, other than you would have to buy another clutch.

The 486 could be modified, and, you already have the magic fork.

Measure the front bearing reatiner hole, there are two sizes seems like:
4-11/16" (car)
5-1/8" (truck).
That is the hole the front of the transmission sets in.

I took a collection to have welded for the conversion:
Two 383/606 -10.5"
One 697 car 11"
One BOP Buick-Olds-Pontiac
One 756 12" Chevy with the 5-1'8 hole (I have a Saginaw 3 speed car trans it fits *most likey from a truck, three speed on the column*, the front bearing retainer may fit a for speed never checked, the bell housing will fit my A883 OD four speed trans though).

So, yes it can be modified...
I figure some of mine will be done on Friday or so.
Ill take some pics and post them

Did that answer your question?

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
well i guess it would have to be done to the 486 bell and see just thinking it would be so good to get around the bell/fork issue i would like to run a 12" i bought a new centerforce and a 12"fly all new been sitting in the basement for years tried the set up with the 486 and a jegs straight fork and you know what happened if i decide to mod it i will be talkin to you and of course the more different # bells modif the more options we would have i just dont have $$ to test thanks

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It looks like the 786 bell housing I took over to have welded up. Going to call him at lunch see how far we got. I am having him weld in the boss down almost to the diagonal web below that pivot ball.

$$$ depends on him, I just decided I would do something about not being able to put a stick in a G-body!

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
do you plan on installing the 786 bell after its finished you have a great idea finding factory parts is a pita as you know luckily i have a g- fork just need to get the 12" clutch in

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That is why I took a collection over to have done. I would do a trade plus, whatever the labor costs, and well S&H.

I think that is fair.

I post up some pics as soon as I get them back.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts