G body Twist

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
You will be really happy with it. I love that style bar on mine and it allows me to keep my tailpipes.

joynerz

Aug 12, 2009
I have a 229V6 80 Malibu that I have had the occasion to jack up at the frame just after the front wheel. I noticed an alarming amount of sag from the jacking point out to the front of the car (like a couple of inches or more), so the frame was actually flexing from just having a V6 w/air cond. weight on it. I didn't realize the frame could flex That much without distorting something. The biggest help I got was installing the F41 front frame braces. They attach at the lower part of the crossmember near the center and up to the frame horns just behind the bumper.They are attached with self-threading bolts (don't need to tighten them bone-tight - might strip). The stiffening was really quite remarkable. I can now jack the car up from the point I mentioned above and there is absolutely no sag whatsoever. Also, part of the F41 package, in addition to a rear anti-sway bar are bars that attach in the engine compartment extending from the fender over to the radiator support, and crossbars mounting in front of the radiator from top to bottom in a cross-brace patter. You wouldn't be able to use the radiator braces if you have an auxillary cooling fan in front of the a/c condensor unless it's a really thin profile one. I'm well pleased with this cheap addition, but I'm not in a racing situation. In a racing situation, depending on how radical it is, maybe something stronger would be needed but it seems in a street setup these braces are more than adequate.

gboy09

Daily Driver
Mar 22, 2009
I found that the twist comes the frame itself being to weak. bracing from front stub to rear stub is necessary to correct the twisting. floor pan clearance is an issue. bar doesn't cost much and if you have a saw and a welder, a weekends time will have you ready to race.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
The twist actually come from the right rear of the axle lifting and that section of the car laying onto the lifting axle. It isn't what you think. The power isn't pulling the front of the car up twisting the frame. It's the rear of the car causing the crooked launch.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
slimbo5 said:
The twist actually come from the right rear of the axle lifting and that section of the car laying onto the lifting axle. It isn't what you think. The power isn't pulling the front of the car up twisting the frame. It's the rear of the car causing the crooked launch.

What he said. Its not frame flex, its not engine torque. Its poor suspension. Mine with a 540 hp 427 and an 8 point cage did it. Back in the early 90's the fix was an air bag at 10 psi. And that is why 9 out 10 cars that do it, go right when they leave. Because the passenger side wheel is doing nothing and the driver side is steering it that way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts