G-machine handling parts ?'s

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I have been looking in to this kit for a long time now and think it to be the most complete kit for the money. It's the Stage IV for the G-body.
http://www.performancesuspension.com/g-machine-performance-suspension-kit.html

I have been looking into other pieces recently and have started thinking that maybe I need to just piece stuff together to get the right attributes.
I'm also going to run the 2" drop spindles from Summit Racing to get the front down.
I would like adjustable rear control arms, but wasn't sure how necessary they were. And then coil overs might be an option becasue they could lower the ride height and set shock pressure.
I'm just running in circles with so many parts and end results. I love doing my homework first before I spend any money, so I know I'm getting the best setup.

I guess I'm just looking to see what everyone suggests in terms of making your car handle the BEST on the street. I am not going to autocross or anything, but I do drag race, but I love the drive and cornering if I can have it.

I am not under too small of a budget, so anything is an option.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Check out Calling all Pro Touring Guys pg 2 of this forum,some good replys,check out liquidh8's wagon,sounds like it sticks like glue,I'm with you there's so may options you could spend a lot of time & money experimenting till you find what you like,Good Luck,KillerDave

killer406

Amateur Racer
Here's what I did on my car:
Hypercoil street stock springs- 800lbs. front(12" tall) & 275 lbs rear(11" tall)
Monte SS sway bars front and rear
Boxed upper and lower arms rear(modified fac. pieces), Lowers in front
Urethane bushings every where
Monroe sensa-trac shocks frt & rr
Quick ratio F-body steering box
I use the car primarily for drift and autocross. I used the tall springs because I wanted to keep the ride height to maintain the sleeper look (mines a 4-door). It's also easier to get it on a trailer.... The car actually rides pretty well on michigan roads despite the front spring rate. The rear does bounce a bit, I could've gone a bit softer there. The car handles awesome and corners pretty flat. The only upgrade planned is bigger swaybars and maybe even stiffer front springs.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You're on the right track. Personally I'd use different rear arms with spherical bearings or some that allow for arm rotation as poly bushings tend to bind triangulated 4 link rear suspensions. I know many people run poly in the back, it's just that I have had both & there definitely is an improvement in rear suspension compliance with the spherical bearings over the poly bushings. Poly does deteriorate over time, too.

Tommy

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
who all has or is running HTH's (Hotrod to Hell) Truck arm suspension on any vehicle? Is it worth the 2 grand for just a rear susupension? I have heard nothing but amazing reviews about this suspension and think it does exactly what I want my suspension to do... fully adjustable height, adjustable roll and stiffness, etc...

killer406

Amateur Racer
LS6 Tommy said:
You're on the right track. Personally I'd use different rear arms with spherical bearings or some that allow for arm rotation as poly bushings tend to bind triangulated 4 link rear suspensions. I know many people run poly in the back, it's just that I have had both & there definitely is an improvement in rear suspension compliance with the spherical bearings over the poly bushings. Poly does deteriorate over time, too.

Tommy

Yeah, I do like the aftermarket spherical bearing rear arms as well and I'm aware of the binding issues using poly bushings, but budgetary issues forced the use of what I'm running now. Better arms are in the plans for the future.

My (poormans)recipe for the rear bars is to leave 1 set of the uppers bushings stock rubber to avoid bind. Get Camaro bushings they are supposed to be stiffer but still allow twist.

My 83 Wagon is set-up as follows:
FRONT:Moog 5608, poly bushings, Hollow 36mm Fbody bar, Gabrial VST shocks

REAR: Moog 5391, Stock lower boxed with poly bushings, Aftermarket 27mm bar, Anti-hop bars, unboxed stock uppers with Camaro bushing in frameside- other end is solid due to anti-hop bars,Gabrial VST shocks also has dual airbags to lift the rear when hauling engines etc.

Another point to consider is all the trick suspension stuff will do nothing for you until you stiffen the wet noodle frame/body.

At minimum get every F41 brace you can and install them.

Here is a link showing them
http://www.geocities.com/jfon101231/brace.html

I added a class II hitch to the Wagon for hauling reasons. It was one of the best handing mods I did!

If you really want to handle call Marcus, be prepared to be on the phone abit, he is a talker( in a good way).

http://www.scandc.com/

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts