Gear Ratio

Canadian78

Dragway Regular
Jan 4, 2007
Maple Ridge,Canada
I Will be buying a rear soon. Just wondering that would be a good rear gear for my car. Its 406/th400 3000 stall. I will be running a 275/60/15 Drag radial. Its a street/strip car but I want to get the most out of the car that I can on the strip

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
I had 3.73s in my Monte when I had my 406 in it. I used 26" tall slicks and 28" tall street tires. It was OK but with no overdrive it was almost painfull to highway drive. (especially if a Mustang passes at high speed and you want to catch them without RPMing your engine to death...lol) When I switched to the 8.75 Dodge diff I went with 3.55s and my ETs went from 13.0s to 12.7. With my big block and spray the 3.55s work great. I wouldn't go any lower than 3.73s if you want to drive it on the street at all. Your 406 will like to pull again the gear anyway. 3.42s would work for you too.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
what kind of rpm are your components good too? 410's are great but if you can go higher in the rpm range step up to 456, i have them and they are sweet.

Canadian78

Dragway Regular
Jan 4, 2007
Maple Ridge,Canada
My motor is nothing special just a basic 400 with all new parts. The rear im looking at has 4:56 gears in it. I might buy it then down the road change them when funds allow

A

Anonymous

bowtie81 said:
what kind of rpm are your components good too? 410's are great but if you can go higher in the rpm range step up to 456, i have them and they are sweet.

I would not run those ratios if you are wanting that car to be streetable...at least on the highway. I run a 3.73 posi and like the othe guy said, that's the max I would do if you want to go on the highway.

A

Anonymous

If you take the money and put it towards a 9 inch, you could change the center when you go to the strip and still keep a good gear for normal driving. Don't know how much you want to spend. But, if you plan on driving it on the street more than the strip, I'd steer clear of that 4.56.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have a 408, 350 trans, 3200 stall, and 28" radials. i run a 4.10 gear and i don't think i'd go any higher. shifting at 5700, i was at 6000 at about the 1000' mark and had to ease off cause i didn't want to rev it past that with my stamped rockers and press in studs.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
it's gunna be a long drive from Vancouver to Mission man with 4.56's, 4.10's from Surrey to Langley was bad enough, you would safely wanna cruise at around 80kmh and I personally wouldn't do that on the #1

Canadian78

Dragway Regular
Jan 4, 2007
Maple Ridge,Canada
formikec said:
If you take the money and put it towards a 9 inch, you could change the center when you go to the strip and still keep a good gear for normal driving. Don't know how much you want to spend. But, if you plan on driving it on the street more than the strip, I'd steer clear of that 4.56.

I would probly go 9" but with the exchange rate the way it is now it would cost so much. unless I can find one local.
80montecarlo said:
it's gunna be a long drive from Vancouver to Mission man with 4.56's, 4.10's from Surrey to Langley was bad enough, you would safely wanna cruise at around 80kmh and I personally wouldn't do that on the #1

I live pretty close to the track but i still want the car to be some what street able.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I would probly go 9" but with the exchange rate the way it is now it would cost so much. unless I can find one local.

i am in NEED of a new rear end right now and have been shopping all over the place, so i know exactly what you're talking about!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts