GM mini starter

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
So my starter is about to take a dump on me . I have a GM mini starter from a 2002 Avalanche (5.3 L ?) was wondering if this on will bolt to my 70's era small block. I knew a guy who did this to a first gen Camaro , but never got a look at it .

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
im curious to, a friend of mine runs one on his Monte but i have never looked at it.

A

Anonymous

are you sure that the starter your friends are using aren't off a vortec motor from like 96 to 99...aren't the 5.3's a totally different motor, i didn't think the starter on a gen 3 would work on gen 1 and 2???

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
norton said:
are you sure that the starter your friends are using aren't off a vortec motor from like 96 to 99...aren't the 5.3's a totally different motor, i didn't think the starter on a gen 3 would work on gen 1 and 2???
That's what I was thinking as well but can't say for sure. I run the mini off the 90's pickups and works better than the low buck aftermarket mini it replaced.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I'm 99% sure that the motor he had the starter on was the original 327 but there is that 1% that always seams to bite me in the hiney :? I would love to use it (it puts out some serious twist) the mount holes are slightly off set but you all know how "pretty close" goes on cars. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
the 5.3 starter might bolt up but if it contacts the ring gear it will be at the wrong angle. also a 70's era small block is probly only going to have the offset bolt pattern. you can use the starter for a 96-99 454 its factory gear reduction and small.

A

Anonymous

will a vortec starter work with a 153 tooth flywheel?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I started researching this a bit today because I needed one to fit a 153-tooth flywheel like hopdup was asking. The starter for '96+ Vortec (Gen I, not III) motors is for a 168-tooth flywheel and won't work. However, while I was searching for a replacement flywheel dust cover (still haven't found a replacement btw, everyone only has the 11" covers, not 10.4") I discovered the LT1 Camaros/Firebirds use the same flywheel as the TPI F-Bodies from the late 80s-'92. Looked one up on Autozone's site & the pics they have are of a mini starter... I'm willing to bet it's the same motor as the 168-tooth unit just with a different nose. From that I'm making the assumption a starter for an LT1 F-Body will work with a 153-tooth flywheel on an older SBC. I'm hoping to find one at a junkyard or on Craigslist & give it a shot before I shell out the $ for a brand new one ($150 new, but lifetime warranty too).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!