GM techs (or anyone else that may know) - 4wd t-case ?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So here's the story, it's on my dad's '03 Sierra (½-ton, pushbutton 4wd, 4L60E). Around 100,000 I believe (it was out of warranty, I remember that much) he had to have the transfer case replaced because the drive chain was rubbing on the inside of the case... $1,400. Fast-forward about 3 years, it's doing the same thing (I heard it while I was up visiting for Christmas), and he sent me an e-mail this morning talking about going back to the dealer to see if there's anything they could do about it. Neither one of us know much about the different types of transfer cases, but this is pretty ridiculous, and if it was my truck I'd pull the dang thing out and put a manual-shift, gear-driven t-case in.

Phoneguy

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2009
Central fl
Sounds like something isn't right. What kinda fluid is being used in the tcase? If someone put gear oil in it that will strech a chain real easly. I'm not sure what tcase they used that year but changing the chain in most is not that hard to do. And as far as gear driven cases it would have to be a np205 but low range stinks in them and you would proably need an adapter to put it in not to mention new driveshafts because a 205 has a fixed yoke on the rear. Also you need a ford case so the driveshaft is on the drivers side since all gm's and dodges that had a 205 had the driveshaft on the passenger side. Or you would have to get an atlas tcase and still have to buy an adapter and have driveshafts made

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
If he uses 4wd as much as most owners do, just sell it and get a 2wd
Or get a nice older one.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Well getting a new truck isn't really in the cards. He just paid this one off and plans on keeping it. He does regular maintenance on it, takes good care of his cars (had an '85 S10 he bought new and the only thing he had to replace in the 20 or so years he had it was trans valvebody @ 17k, starter, radiator and maybe water pump), which is why I'm confused it's having this weird issue. I suppose I should start looking into what's involved with rebuilds, I thought I remember something about a chain tensioner going out/breaking but I could be wrong since I don't know a lot about them yet.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I guess another thing to ask is how many of you have even heard of this? It's not like he's abusing the truck, and it sees mainly highway miles (Flint to Pontiac, MI). Checked on fullsizechevy.com and one of the guys (not many replies :() said he has 255k on his 2000 and hasn't had this problem.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Doober said:
I guess another thing to ask is how many of you have even heard of this? It's not like he's abusing the truck, and it sees mainly highway miles (Flint to Pontiac, MI). Checked on fullsizechevy.com and one of the guys (not many replies :() said he has 255k on his 2000 and hasn't had this problem.

I saw it WAY, WAY to much while working at the salvage yard. It generally seemed to be from people that used the auto 4x4 function, or otherwise engaged the 4x4 at high speeds. Even though they are designed for it, they don't like it, and the auto 4x4 is rather abusive kicking in and out. The manual should say something about engage it at speeds under 55 MPH, but truthfully, it either needs to be sitted still or under 10mph. Think of it like spinning your tires on a sheet of ice and suddenly getting traction on a dry patch. That is going to be a hard jolt on the drivetrain. That is basically what the auto 4x4 does, every time it engages, since it only engages when slip is detected. NOT COOL

I personally have engaged a push button 4x4 at 85 mph. I wouldn't recommend it, but the ice patch appeared out of no where and I had to do something.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey Darren, I see a TV show about the transfer cases and the chains rubing a hole in the case which couses a leak. I think it was Truck U . Might try the net and see if you can find it. Doug

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'll see if I can look up the Truck U episode and let my dad know about Auto 4wd. Sounds like he's going to a salvage yard & changing it himself this time (I guess it was $1,300, and all they did was replace the rubbed half of the case and the chain). He's probably getting it from Schram Auto parts (about the nearest place to them in MI that has them, and they have a ton, most are '06+ between 25-70k miles).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts