Guideplate vs self-aligning roller rockers

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
What is the difference or are there any benefits between self-aligning and guideplate roller rockers?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I like the guide plate setup. Self aligning rockers only have thin little plates along side the tip roller that center the rocker over the valve tip. To me this is for a stock lift cam. When you get into long valve travel the rocker may not be centered EXACTLY over the tip. You do not want to rely of these little plates to keep the valve train straight. It is better to hold the pushrod straight and reduce the leverage effect on the rocker.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Self aligning rockers came from GM with center valve covers. I would bet, they are cheaper that the machine shop labor to install guide plates and rocker arms studs that screw in. Like on a grand scale, for say, building all the small OE blocks in the world.

Center bolt, LT1, and Vortec heads.

*Self aligning roller rockers are available in roller tip and full roller.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Neither one of you seem to be on the same page as me. I'm referring to these for use on a 1st generation small block chevy...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6936-16/?rtype=10.

These have full roller tip and fulcrum with the alignment rails built into the roller tip, so they should accommodate for the longer travel valve lift.

I guess my main query has to do with the friction/drag of the guideplates on the pushrods versus the stability of the alignment rails on the roller tip.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I vote for neither! The "Man" Smokey Yunick absolutly hated Chevrolets Mickey Mouse rocker system and tried his best to talk GM into designing a shaft rocker set-up for the small block way back in the late 50s,although reletivly expensive initially they are the best way to go,of course after you factor in the pricing of some good roller rockers,poly locks,stud girdles and all the other parts and peices that were invented as crutches for said rocker system shaft set ups seem to me to start making sense,that is if you're doing something serious anyway,also I don't think the self aligning rockers would work with a solid cam! Later,KillerDave

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
What heads are you using?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
as far as I know they are cast iron Dart heads. I bought the car with them already on their and haven't had a need to dig into the engine yet to find out the casting numbers and model of them.
Also, I was thinking of using the 1.6 full rollers if this would be a good idea.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
If the heads are milled for guide plates, use the guide plates. If not, then the pushrod guides are built into the heads. Don't use the self aligning rockers.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
any particular reason why or why not?

I wouldn't think that multiple companies would have a product that just doesn't work and all designed basically the same.

I do see that almost every performance engine with roller rockers on them are using guideplates at least though. Maybe I'm just being stubborn.

My heads aren't machined for the plates and screw-in studs just yet and I probably won't bother with it, as I'm only going to go all out anyway when I do upgrade the heads.

Another question - If I did run the self-aligning rockers, can they be used later for a guideplate application as well?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts