HELP 88 Suburban no start

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Ok last fall my dad's suburban popped a head gasket, toasted the block. We just got done installing a brand new crate engine, only to find out it won't even crank over.
EVERYTHING has power except:
the horn
the radio
the fuel pump
The solenoid is getting power, the distributor has power
New batt, new starter
It seems to me like a body ground, but we've tried making ground between the body/frame, body/engine and every other possible combination.

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Update. After asking AGAIN AND AGAIN if he hooked everything up correctly, I had the zany idea that the starter was not hooked up correctly. Turns out he had the solenoid wire on the "R" terminal instead of "S".
After pokin his ribs about getting old and some good laughs, It cranks just fine.
Also turns out that brake light switch had become corroded from sitting
However there is still:
NO HORN
NO FUEL PUMP
NO RADIO
What would these circuits have in common? None that I can think of.
ALSO I jumped the A and B terminals on the data link conn and cannot even get the computer to flash a code 12, aka All Is Good code

rich

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
kenniwick wa.
check the power connection on the back of the alt or the fuseable link from there my 90 had a bad connection there till it broke i was getting bad engine codes and it would die then restart replaced the terminal worked fine sounds very similar no radio etc

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Well it turned out that the Computer/ECU whatever it's called was fried. Whether it be from hooking the starter up incorrectly or something else.
New computer was ordered and installed yesterday. Everything works now except the radio and horn, but still NO SPARK :x :x :x
I checked for power to the coil, that's fine. There's a red and white wire coming out of the coil and going into the dist. both have power out. New cap, new rotor, new ignition module.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Curses... of course my Haynes manual I have from when I had my '88 pickup is out in the barn :p Thanks Dad. Did you check the pickup coil? That's what went wrong on mine. You have to pull the shaft out of the distributor to get to it. Here are a couple pics showing its location and how to test it.
0900823d80117d25.gif

0900823d80117d26.gif

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Yeah, i was thinking pickup coil as the next culprit, but wasn't sure how to test it. I'll have to check it out after work today.
Thanks everybody, and especially Doober --Josh

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts