Help me decide steering wheel choice

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
malibu101 said:
I like the 4 spoke too. I've had a 4 spoke Grant in the Malibu for years and I like it just fine.

HOWEVER, mine is 1 piece of aluminum cutout. I've driven some cars with aftermarket 4 spoke wheels where there are 2 pieces of metal that make the 4 spokes. It's not a huge deal but I personally really dislike the 2 different levels/heights of the metal that makes up the center of the wheel.

I'm the same way with the 4 spoke, kinda OCD about that. I'm pretty certain I'm going to get the 2nd one from the top. I think that should fit the look I'm going for.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
81classic said:
I'm the same way with the 4 spoke, kinda OCD about that. I'm pretty certain I'm going to get the 2nd one from the top. I think that should fit the look I'm going for.

My friend Jeff has that wheel in his 70 Vette. It has a lot less dish than the GM 14" three spoke Vette wheel he had before, so you may not like how far your arms have to stretch to drive.

Tommy

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
LS6 Tommy said:
81classic said:

My friend Jeff has that wheel in his 70 Vette. It has a lot less dish than the GM 14" three spoke Vette wheel he had before, so you may not like how far your arms have to stretch to drive.

Tommy
Right on that. ;)
I like it better as I'm a bit on the tall side and my Malibu does not have a tilt coloum. It fits me fine.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Cool. I prefer more of a "rally" driving position, so I like the wheel up closer to my chest.

Tommy

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I dont have my factory steering wheel, what is the dish on the Malibu steering wheel?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
There isn't one.
chevrolet-malibu-2.jpg

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Yes, there is. The "dish" is the difference beween the rim & where it mounts on the hub. On the newer style wheels, the horn pad takes up space between the rim & the hub, so it just looks flat. On our cars, the hub is part of the wheel, so the dish is harder to measure, but it's the same distance from the back of the wheel & the rim on the newer style wheels & the combined distance of the hub & wheel on the old style setup. The stock wheel dish is 3" from the backside of the wheel, same as the overall distance between the back of the hub & the rim of the 14" 80's Vette wheel I have. In other words, My 80's Vette 14" wheel is in the same exact place as my stock wheel.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober said:

C'mon, Doob. There's nothing to be embarassed about. We all learn form eachother here. How many times have I said, "I learned something new. Again..."

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts