How I used a std bellhousing/fork in my 'bu

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
I have been asked how I used a standard (9 O'clock fork position) bellhousing with a straight clutch fork in my Malibu. Here is what I did...hope it helps those of you interested out.

I have Heddman Hussler #65219 headers, they are long tube, big pipe diameter (1 7/8").
Other brands or routing styles may not allow this to be done.

I used a Lakewood safety bellhousing

downsized_0625002357.jpg

The floor of my old car required a minor amount of clearancing with a rounded wooden driver and a large hammer, where the end of the clutch fork was. This was probably more due to worn out body bushings than a real tight clearance area. If more room were needed I probably would have cut a short length of 1" pipe in half and welded it into the floor.

I also trimmed the fork its self at the top/end to aid clearance. You can see the top edge was ground back to clear the floorboard.

downsized_0112012149.jpg

The different height that the straight fork end is at required cutting off the inner arm of the Z bar and relocating it. My Z bar was all reinforced up BEFORE I realized that I needed to cut it. So there is a rectangle area on my Z bar that shows where the arm used to be. I cut the stock inner arm off and flipped it over and mounted it on the other side of the Z bar tube. As hard as these Z bars are to find and as much as people want for these things - I can see being afraid to modify one w/o any exact measurements. It's ok if you want to turn back now. :D

A stock Z bar and my modified one

downsized_0112012148.jpg

More pics from various angles...

downsized_0112012152.jpg

downsized_0112012152a.jpg

Notice the length I had to make my linkage to the fork. It comes about an inch from my header tubes.

downsized_0112012150.jpg

downsized_0112012144a.jpg

Thats all I have to show right now. If I can help make sense of any of this just let me know.

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
T-5 - Yeah, that is the plan now. I now have 2 of the frame brackets that I can weld together.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
How did you handle the shorter throw of the z-bar. Does the pedal require a longer movement to disengage the clutch fully now?

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
I did not have an issue (so far anyway - fingers crossed) with the difference.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts