how much nitrous

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
Im building a 388 sbc with trw .60 over forged pistons, eagle I beams and crank(both not froged), partiot 190 alum head with 5 angle valve job and port matched to a perf rpm manifold, edelbrock 750 carb, lunati flat tappet cam with 233in/241exh and .535in/.560exh lift with 1.6 rockers. how much do you think is "safe" to spray it with. im hopeing to get 430 hp/tq on motor. i want to acheive low 12 high 11s on motor and low 11s high 10s on spray if possible. what do ya think? thanks joe

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I think Eagle I beams are forged. I would think 200 would be fine. If I can spray 150 on junk pistons 200 on good ones should be np.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
im not sure about them being forged, eagle said the rotating assembly can support 500 hp but i ditched the hiper pistons that came with it and got forged. i know my trans can hold 600 for sure so i want to get close to that. its also a stock 4 bolt block too. do you think those times are achoblishable? and ed, that et by your name is with out spray, what did you run with it? thanks joe

buschmec

Amateur Racer
Jul 7, 2003
panama city florida
you can't go by what components you have, start with a 150 pill and work on your tuneup, biggest prob. I see is with the exaust side of the patriot heads, they typically don't flow very well. a 200 shot with the right tune is a good median shot but I've seen the eagle stuff hold 500 pills in a progressive fogger. tune the 150 and move up to 200, 250 etc. by the way nothing is safe, you cranked the motor-you pulled the pin on the grenade, now how long is that timer again?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
^^:lol: This is why I just sold my fogger and and extra fuel system. I know it can handle it, but the money isn't there if something goes wrong, and I don't have the time right now to tune a consistent combo. Nothing feels cooler though, well except a set of turbos kicking in.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
lol i know no amount is "safe". i just dont want to blow it up first try. im going to get it dynoed by a really good local guy too so i know the tune will be good. i think i might try 125 and work my way up from there just to be safe. lunati said the cam i have is good with up to a 200 shot but i dont see me spraying that much. too afraid yet. lol. thanks for all your input guys, joe

oh yea what do you think itll run? auto trans, 10"3500 stall, 3.70 gear, 28" tire, 3500lb el camino. do you think low 11s is possible?

buschmec

Amateur Racer
Jul 7, 2003
panama city florida
its possible, don't be afraid of the bottle, be afraid of poor info from keyboard jockeys. with the 125 you'll be very rich with a stock nos tune what plate are you going to run, do you have a seperate fuel reg. for the system or are you tapping in to existing line? start by describing your fuel system setup and what plate. will try to start you out in the right area to allow the tuning to be a little more simple. also does the car run rich with the existing carb (describe jetting if you have it written down) and do you know what timing?

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
im not exactly sure of which plate i have because i got it from the guy who built my trans, he said its a 125 shot plate and its one of the first designes of them. i was thinking about getting a new plate with different sets of jets. as far as the fuel system i have a 110 mech pump and a regulator and im going to be tapping in to the existing fuel line. as far as the timing and carb running rich, i dont know that because its still on the stand waiting to go in. one reason i was askin this question was if /when i buy a new plate and what jets to get. thanks alot

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
You might wanna go with a electric pump for the setup. I have a holley blue pump on mine. You can split the line up front, get a Y block and run 2 regulators. 1 for the carb and 1 for the n2o. Holley regulators are fine. I'd also start with a 100 shot and work your way up {watching you're plugs}. You can check out some nitrous websites out on YB. Steve Johnson is the mediator on there along with a guy from NOS. If you get into spraying more I would run a separate fuel system for the N2o alone and a separate pump. I was a little nervous about running N20 and did alot of reading on it. I haven't used it yet, still need to do some wiring on the solenoids, relays etc. Will be using it in the spring!! Hope this helps Wagondude

buschmec

Amateur Racer
Jul 7, 2003
panama city florida
get the motor going first. plate is prob. a powershot plate from nos. spend the cash and get a decent plate ( hitman from nitrous express, nos cheater, or nitrous supply) you can piece together a system but I highly recommend no doing so your first time out. if your going to run a tee off style fuel system your going to have a hard time getting the tune right but it can be done. set your reg. at 6lbs. for the carb and no2 kit and do not adjust it again. all your tuning will be by fuel jet in the plate and carb. jetting. a stand alone dead head fuel system is good, a bypass rail system is better. most of the newer reher and sonnys pieces have gone to the bypass and it seems to work wonders. if your going to upgrade your fuel sys. this is the majic bullet for consistency in fuel delivery. udt performance/ casey buschmeyer 850-257-6543 if you need more info

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts