How strong do you think this will be?

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I have a Goodwrench 350 crate engine, the 8.5 compression one, and I'm doing some upgrades around the engine. I'm adding a serpentine setup from a 88' F-body, and since I have only one accessory bolt hole in the passenger side, I decided to try and fabricate something to strengthen that side up, instead of taking the head off, drilling, and tapping a new hole. Here's what I have. The wall of the aluminum is relatively thin, I don't have an exact measurement, but after tightening the bolts down, I didn't see anything flexing when I was shaking it forward and back, left to right. This bracket also bolts to the fuel pump pushrod bolt area. The brace mounts on a hole in the intake, and to one of the bolt holes on the A/C compressor bracket. Here's a picture.

I just made this with some tubing that I had laying around. I'm currently in the process of wiring up my relays for the electric fan so I just pretty much stopped what I was doing there to start this :lol: . But if you guys think I should make it stronger like the solid braces that were on the stock A/C compressors, let me know please. Also, the compressor does feel a little bit lighter than the stock one.

Edit: The car will be street driven, rarely going to the track. I'm also deleting the air pump and using the alternative belt routing so I do not need the pump delete pulley.

Attachments

• 0313101825-00.jpg
    0313101825-00.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 721

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
There is also usually some sort of brace that runs somewhat parallel to the engine, to keep the belt from pulling the compressor forward. I don't have any supports on mine - just an A/C delete pulley right now - and it's been fine, but I may add some in the future if I stick with this setup and add A/C.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I tried finding some braces if they used them from the factory, but came up empty. I think on the v-belt setups from F-bodies they did. I may make another one for the A/C compressor that like you said, runs parallel and bolts to another location, but I'm not sure yet

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
I say make it stroner maybe something that goes from that one lower corner to the header. I has seen ac brackets for heads with no accesory holes maybe those will help with some mods. but def. you need more the ac pulls alot its under a heavy load once its charged up. I wouldnt be suprised if the head accesory hole breaks off or strips it looks thin and weak. make more brackets please..............
79loserbluebu said:
I have a Goodwrench 350 crate engine, the 8.5 compression one, and I'm doing some upgrades around the engine. I'm adding a serpentine setup from a 88' F-body, and since I have only one accessory bolt hole in the passenger side, I decided to try and fabricate something to strengthen that side up, instead of taking the head off, drilling, and tapping a new hole. Here's what I have. The wall of the aluminum is relatively thin, I don't have an exact measurement, but after tightening the bolts down, I didn't see anything flexing when I was shaking it forward and back, left to right. This bracket also bolts to the fuel pump pushrod bolt area. The brace mounts on a hole in the intake, and to one of the bolt holes on the A/C compressor bracket. Here's a picture.

I just made this with some tubing that I had laying around. I'm currently in the process of wiring up my relays for the electric fan so I just pretty much stopped what I was doing there to start this :lol: . But if you guys think I should make it stronger like the solid braces that were on the stock A/C compressors, let me know please. Also, the compressor does feel a little bit lighter than the stock one.

Edit: The car will be street driven, rarely going to the track. I'm also deleting the air pump and using the alternative belt routing so I do not need the pump delete pulley.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts