How to check and fill oil in a 7.5 differential?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I had a leak out of the 7.5 differential on my 78. I tightened up the bolts. How do I add and check the fluid quantity?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I scraped off the gasket, which was Black ATV gasket. I used my little body hammer and knocked out the dings on the edge. The dings looked like someone had lifted up to get the cover plate off. Instead of pushing the handle of the screwdriver towards the front. I was able to get it fairly straight. I put more black rtv bead in to use as the gasket. I bolted the cover back on. I plan to put new oil after 24 hours.

Reactions: melloelky

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
on a stock rear I was always told to stick your pink in through the fill hole. It should just be able to touch oil. Not sure if that is good advice...but it is what I was told many years ago

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I already knew that,but posted it wrong. I was use seeing the fill plug in plain sight and couldn't find it. Thank you for your response.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I just put the oil in the differential today. There was an even bead of the black rtv all the way around the cover. I plan to let it sit and see if it's going to leak. Then I'll put it on the road and see what happens.

Reactions: melloelky

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
It leaks without starting it. So I will have to get glue and put it in. It'll be awhile before I will be able to get to it. Thanks to all for your help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!