how to wire relays

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Awesome right up. Very helpful. Got a couple questions.

It doesn't matter which terminal is used for hot or ground on the relay. 85 or 86 either or can be hot or ground.
Also: On the toggle switch. Does it matter which terminal goes to the battery and which one goes to the (switched hot)? And does it HAVE to have an inline fuse when going to fusebox under dash?
I currently have a electric fuel pump wired up with a relay no problems. I am getting ready to wire up a electric water pump and an electric fan. I was told about a junction block off the battery but can't seem to find what I need on the websites they listed. Do you have a pic or diagram? Because later I will be messing with N2O and transbrake and such. Thx again. Very helpful.

lester622

Dragway Regular
Sep 5, 2006
new orleans
I got a question on the relay wiring, when ur running an ignition box with the nitrous and use the timing retard on the box how u hook the relays up with the box? or do u not need them?

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
I'll post some pics of the fuse/relay center I'm incorporating into a 1966 Chevelle I'm building at my shop. I removed the entire relay center from a 99 Olds Alero and it has a total of 10 realys, some of which are 5 pin as well as about 12 MAXI style fuses-it looks factory and it provides an easy place for proper wire routing. -Jabin

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46075

My images appear to be too big-here's the Chevelle I'm building at the shop. It's a dynoed 632 hp 406 mechanical roller motor with an NX kit that's capable of adding approx. 750 hp more. You can see the relay center I'm building for it-that is how I build my electrical systems underhood. The MAXI style fuses handle current loads better and the integrated relays keep everything neat and tidy. I'm still in the middle of running all the electrical for it at the moment.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
I am taking the adive of ordering quality relays.
Does anyone know where i can get a Potter & Brumfield or bosch relay? Im restricted to ordering online

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
HarrisonTX said:
I am taking the adive of ordering quality relays.
Does anyone know where i can get a Potter & Brumfield or bosch relay? Im restricted to ordering online
Sometimes if there is a "good" parts guy at your local parts store they can find relays for you. Just ask them to bring the box with the relays in it from the back and even though GP or Wells name is on the box open them up and look at the back of the relay. Most of the time you will find Bosch relays in the boxes or you might get lucky and find Hella relays there as well.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!