Ideas for a low 6 sec engine.

Crock

May 17, 2011
How is everyone? I'm a new guy to the forum but I'm not new to restomod's. I have a 66 Plymouth Belvedere with a 6.1 Hemi installed so I have a little idea on some of the problem that can come with a restomod. I hope no one holds this against me. I caught an outstanding deal 6.0 LQ9 LS for 400 bucks i couldn't pass on the deal. My younger brother has a late Malibu and thinking of saleing it for around 400 buck so a lot going in the right direction. My only problems is the 6.0 is completely broken down so I'm rebuilding and scent I'm in the process of rebuilding I figure go big or go home. I see a common thing is Ls6 intake and heads but will this and a hot cam get me a low 6 sec 1/8 of mile but still able to drive in the street. Will a 403 do it?

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Many of the guys over on ls1tech are running bolton motors into the 10s, so will it be totally impossible, not at all. Heads you can go with the 5.3 stage 2 (i'm trying to remember combos and setups) maybe a ms4 cam (daily drivable, but on the edge) and either an ls6 intake thats been ported out, or a 90/90 FAST setup....here is the 10 second club over there:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/10-second-club-88/

honestly with the size and how light most of the Gbody cars are, def. not impossible, I'd try to get a 4l60/65/70 to throw behind it though, just to have that extra gear. I run the 4l80e transmission and the lq motor, and my trap speed has low 12s written all over it, but my tune is very conservative and my traction is non existant!

BoostedbuLQ9

Amateur Racer
Dec 16, 2008
Ocean County, NJ
vickysbu said:
Bore the 6.0 block 30 over, L92 heads, custom cam, LS3 intake, that will get you where you want to be.

All Sounds right but you wanna get a FAST intake, the LS3 is more restrictive than an LS6 intake. Fast 102 with L92 heads should give you a strong power band. 450-500 RWHP

Ralph

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Like everyone else is saying, 6.0 engines with a GOOD heads/cam combo is more than capable of running in the 6's 1/8th mile. Plenty of guys are making around 500rwhp on big cube LSx engines with stock style heads.

littlefranks

Frequent Racer
Jun 3, 2006
pembrokepines FLORIDA
i went 6.6 at 105 in my monty with a 6.0 alu block ls3 heads custom cam fi and a 150 hit .some guys are in low 6,s with carb setup and spray .same set up .i like fi cuz its good drivabilty here in south florida.lol

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Pics of the 66 plymouth?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts