Upstate NY
Re: Another small update - 11-29-08

Radio Shack has resistors in stock, should be one close to you. HTH

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Your secret's safe with me! Sounds like a good place to start,I guess I'm off to Radio
Shack!! Thanks Guys! Dave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

Also, something else that would help would be to get a potentiometer. Do a little reading how to wire one up. Use Ohm's law (I=V/R, V=RI, etc.) to find the maximum current the LED can endure, then wire up the pot. (with calculated resistor to limit current) in series with the LED/resistor circuit. Dial up the resistance on the LED until you get the brightness you want. Measure the resistance across the pot. and resistor, and that will be the resistor you will want for that voltage/current on your LED.

Hope this helps ;)

PS

If you want a schematic I could probably draw one up for ya.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com

Yeah, it can vary greatly. Most of the LED's I work with only require 300-500 ohms to get the right brightness (limit current). They are usually connected to only 5 volts. So, getting a pot may save some money and time figuring out what value to use. Although resistors are pretty cheap. Seems like I remember that the LED's from Radio Shack have a resistor "guide" on the back of the package to get the correct current. Just make sure it lists the value for 12 volts use.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Hey Doober,

Thanks for the advice but that's getting a bit to technical for me for 4
leds,I'll probably just go get an assortment around the values Philip mentioned and play with them a bit,I can't imagine they cost much at all,probably do the Radio Shack trip tomorrow,didn't make it today as I had some other things to do,by the way I got my leds from Jegs and they didn't have anything with them,I guess we'll see what happens!
Later

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Hey Guys,
Well I made it to Radio Shack the other day,their resistors are in 5-packs @ .99 each I got some 5.5's and tried one on my blue led and it didn't seem to make that much difference,then I tried 3 in a row,still didn't seem to do much so I just put 1 in and well you know,I don't drive with high beams much anyway and if the led is bright I won't forget to turn them off,same with my turn signals,if the canceller doesn't work I'll have a bright light letting me know so and the red one for the E-brake,well I probably won't forget to disengage it either,I've been wiring for the past couple of days on and off and guess I forgot how tedious that stuff is,it's coming together pretty good though,I'll post a pic when it's all wired up,Catch you all later! KillerDave

xfullthrottlex

Daily Driver
Aug 29, 2010

Hey guys I don't mean to threadjack but does anyone have the dimensions on the dash insert... I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making one! Thank you very much

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO

I don't feel bad now. You project is taking forever too ;-)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!