Iroc wheels

AIDANMELAD

Weekend Racer
Sep 19, 2005
NYC
Hey guys, I have mounted these 245/50/16 IROC Wheels on my 79, I just noticed today that the front wheels rub the upper control arms when turning. And they arent even turned that much. Has anyone ever used this set up before? I powder coated the upper arms, is there any way I put them on the wrong sides? Im reaching here, cause I really like the way these rims look, plus they were FREEE!
Any help is most appreciated as always, Thanks guys.
Matty

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Matty,
I'm guessing that you might have to add a spacer there. I don't think anything too drastically thick. But again, I've had no experience with these wheels before.
How are they mounted? Fronts in front..rears in the rear? or rears up front and fronts in the rear?
I know that the rear IROC wheels have abit more backspace than the front wheels.
Hey, you can't beat the price of them... ;) sweeet!

Hope things are going well for you otherwise, my friend.

Jack ;)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, you need to run 4 fronts to fit th IROC wheels. Also, you need an "X" steering box for an IROC or a WS6 T/A. The turn stops are for 16" wheels so you don't hit the A-arms.

Tommy

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
We're building an '81 Regal in our shop and we are using a set of 16" Iroc wheels, too. We put the front up front and the rears out back-no problems here. We just put the F-41 anti-sway bars on both ends yesterday-handles much better in the turns already! The new catback style exhaust sounds good too-got rid of the glasspack pick-up sound finally! LOL

Perryk

Dragway Regular
Jun 22, 2005
montana
pics

Hey GM got any pics of that REgal?

Perry

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
gmachinz said:
We're building an '81 Regal in our shop and we are using a set of 16" Iroc wheels, too. We put the front up front and the rears out back-no problems here. We just put the F-41 anti-sway bars on both ends yesterday-handles much better in the turns already! The new catback style exhaust sounds good too-got rid of the glasspack pick-up sound finally! LOL
==================================================
Hey Jabin.
No backspace issues using the rear IROC wheels? I was always under the impression that if you chose to use the rear wheels, instead of using all fronts. You would need wheel spacers for the rear... :?
Jack ;)

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
I do have pics of the Regal when we picked it up-if somebody wants to throw them up here, email me and I can shoot them to ya. Yeah, the rear Iroc wheels fit on the rear with about 3/4" clearance to the framerail-I too heard they won't clear but after trying it, I don't see what the big deal was. Having Iroc fronts on the fronts almost cause the wheels to rub up front but that problem would be way worse with the Iroc rears up front-even with spacers. And I don't want to stress the bearings that much so no spacers for me. -Jabin

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Longroof79 said:
gmachinz said:
Hey Jabin.
No backspace issues using the rear IROC wheels? I was always under the impression that if you chose to use the rear wheels, instead of using all fronts. You would need wheel spacers for the rear... :?
Jack ;)

They may not be from a disc/disc car. Some IROCS had drum brakes out back, in which case you don't need the spacers or the "front" rims on all 4 corners.

Tommy

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
LS6 Tommy said:
Longroof79 said:
gmachinz said:
Hey Jabin.
Jack ;)

They may not be from a disc/disc car. Some IROCS had drum brakes out back, in which case you don't need the spacers or the "front" rims on all 4 corners.

Tommy
===================================================
Well that's a fact that didn't occur to me. :? Thanks for that info. I wanted to go with the GTA or IROC wheels at one point, but changed my mind due to what I was hearing about the clearance and backspace issues.
Jack ;)

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Lowered with 5/8 spacer on the rear wheels, a little bit of rub on full lock out front.

wagonold.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts