Iroc wheels

A

Anonymous

A few notes on 82-92 Fbody 16" wheels...

Rears and fronts are different. Front's will usually fit all the way around (on the fbody) without a problem, but rear's will rub on the front.

Spacers were factory equipment on Fbodies that had 16" wheels and drum brakes in the rear, when equipped with cast iron drums. Aluminum drums didn't use the spacers. To call them spacers at all is a misconception since they're maybe 1/8" thick at most. In fact it's more likely that the 'spacers' were used to prevent the aluminum from reacting with the iron and seizing in place. Even when the spacers are left off on an Fbody with iron drums the 16" rear wheels still don't rub. All the OEM 16" Fbody wheels are the same, regardless of whether they're off a drum or disc car.

Also, the 16" fronts with 245/50R16's rub at lock on the Fbody in most cases. From the factory most 16" wheel equipped Fbodies came with internal stops in the steering gear along with improved valving and ratios. Some of these improved boxes are marked with a 'Z' in on the top of the steering gear, but not all are marked that way. Even with the correct box, the stock tires, wheels, etc often rub near lock or over heavy bumps with the wheel turned.

A

Anonymous

My 88 Iroc with rear drums had no spacers...?

I'm wondering about the rims too, as I can get a set really cheap for my 83 Wagon...

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Jimmy80Malibu said:
A few notes on 82-92 Fbody 16" wheels...

Rears and fronts are different. Front's will usually fit all the way around (on the fbody) without a problem, but rear's will rub on the front.

Spacers were factory equipment on Fbodies that had 16" wheels and drum brakes in the rear, when equipped with cast iron drums. Aluminum drums didn't use the spacers. To call them spacers at all is a misconception since they're maybe 1/8" thick at most. In fact it's more likely that the 'spacers' were used to prevent the aluminum from reacting with the iron and seizing in place. Even when the spacers are left off on an Fbody with iron drums the 16" rear wheels still don't rub. All the OEM 16" Fbody wheels are the same, regardless of whether they're off a drum or disc car.

Also, the 16" fronts with 245/50R16's rub at lock on the Fbody in most cases. From the factory most 16" wheel equipped Fbodies came with internal stops in the steering gear along with improved valving and ratios. Some of these improved boxes are marked with a 'Z' in on the top of the steering gear, but not all are marked that way. Even with the correct box, the stock tires, wheels, etc often rub near lock or over heavy bumps with the wheel turned.

Makes sense to me, Jimmy. I never put much thought into why they did what they did, but knowing GM as well as I do, it doesn't suprise me that they wouldn't make more than one set of rear wheels, just from a cost-cutting point of view. The dissimilar metals thing sort of makes sense, but then again almost every other GM car with alloy wheels has had iron discs, drums or steel hubs.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts