Keisler does it again

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Shafi just introduced a new dog-ring syncrho 6 speed at PRI. Looks like a great unit, but boy do they beat on the rear end in the video. Clutchless or not, you should still match revs for a down shift. The rear end (& tires) will thank you for it & you'll be about 1000% less likely to spin due to rear wheel lock up.

Lookieheer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2fGeL7DEE

Tommy

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
Re: Keisler dos it again

that downshifting was horrible. every time he smashed it down a gear i cringed.... what about that transmission is "street friendly"??? he had problems up shifting it in his last pass. you can see his foot is all over the throttle with bad timing for 5th and 6th. besides i thought a "clutchless" trans was one you didn't have to lift to shift. trans seems nice, but the marketing vid, not so nice.

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL

Over on PT Shafi posted a lot of information about these trannys as well as pricing etc and a discussion about his less than smooth downshifting and his practice to do it smoothly. He alsoincluded links to smooth downshift videos in those threads. Links below to the PT threads

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63460

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63513

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio

you can make the shift by floating the throttle as well... he was doing it on the down shifts..

chriping on the down shift seam like compression breaking when you let out hte clutch really fast

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

malibu795 said:
you can make the shift by floating the throttle as well... he was doing it on the down shifts..

chriping on the down shift seam like compression breaking when you let out hte clutch really fast

Chirping tires on a downshift are caused by not doing it properly, period. With or without a clutch. You should already have the engine at the proper RPM for your road speed & gear selsction before you go into the next lower gear. I'm not knocking Shafi, just pointing out a few observations. I've been driving manual trannies since I was twelve & have double clutched since I was 13. The concept is the same, with or without a clutch. If you do it right & do it well, you can get a smooth up or downshift either way. Realistically, you only need a clutch for 1st & reverse.

Tommy

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Slightly off topic, I had a customer call me years ago and needed his F150 towed in, slave cylinder blew, had no clutch pedal at all. I said no problem, I'd go pick the truck up and bring it back. He had no idea how I was going to drive the truck with no clutch pedal. Pretty simple, just match the rpm to the next gear before you upshift. Made it back to the shop, replaced the slave cylinder. He was thankful for not having to pay a tow bill :)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Dang it, something else to add to my transmission wish list :roll: :lol:

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
StreetBu said:
Pretty simple, just match the rpm to the next gear before you upshift.
I had to do the same thing in my wagon when the bellcrank broke. Stop lights were fun. I had to shut the car off and then start the car in 1st gear when the light turned green.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio

LS6 Tommy said:
malibu795 said:

Chirping tires on a downshift are caused by not doing it properly, period. With or without a clutch. You should already have the engine at the proper RPM for your road speed & gear selsction before you go into the next lower gear. I'm not knocking Shafi, just pointing out a few observations. I've been driving manual trannies since I was twelve & have double clutched since I was 13. The concept is the same, with or without a clutch. If you do it right & do it well, you can get a smooth up or downshift either way. Realistically, you only need a clutch for 1st & reverse.

Tommy
toward then end he was getting little better at it..
heres a better way to runa dog box...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1jO64tuQA

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts