Lost My Driveshaft After New U-joints

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
I have a 7.5 everything is stock. I had new u-joints put in by NAPA. I then noticed a slight vibration at about 55. The rear U-joint had no way to center itself. So I thought it might be off center a little. I centered it within .005 side to side still had the vibration. Then the driveshaft come out of the car at 60. Very minor damage thankfully. I am wondering if NAPA put the wrong u-joint in the rear. Should it center when you tighten it down I thought the old one did ? The one that was in it you could set it anywere and tighten it up. So I also need a driveshaft if anyone is close to Dayton, Oh Thanks

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I bet they put the wrong one in, it should be snug when its in there.

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
if they didnt put the wrong u-joint in they more then likely didnt put the c-clips in that holds it in place.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
If they put the wrong joint in, I would be in the store with shaft in hand {whats left of it} and makin them pay! :evil: :evil: Look on your receipt and give us the part # of the joint they put in, someone on here will be able to tell you if it was the wrong one or they just "f'd" up and forgot to put on the retainer clips.

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
They forgot the C-clips. Going to see them Saturday. I wish I would of caught it, but it was about 4 months from the time the U-joints were replaced until I put it in the car. Still should of caught it but that does no change there mess up.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
richamer1 said:
They forgot the C-clips. Going to see them Saturday. I wish I would of caught it, but it was about 4 months from the time the U-joints were replaced until I put it in the car. Still should of caught it but that does no change there mess up.

Time is irrelevant. They can try to claim the warranty on the joint has expired, but that does not change the fact that they installed it wrong, left necessary safety related parts off the car & directly caused damage. They're 100% responsible.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts