LS dyno mule and Engine Masters Competition build

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
I have posted this question on an LS1 forum as well but have not really gotten much of a response and I would like some insight from you guys.
I am planning on building a dyno mule that eventually might find its way into my 79 malibu, I wanted to find out how many of you have used the 5.3 blocks.
We have a low mileage 5.3 to use and I plan to bore it to the standard LS bore size, I will more than likely use the stock crank for now and proably the stock rods as well. I need to know if there is any thing I need to do to the oiling system or any other mods that will help this thing live because we are going to really abuse this thing on the dyno. I have plenty of experience whan it comes to performance engines but I am kind of a rookie when it comes to the LS engines. Any advice will be appreciated.

Andy

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Re: LS dyno mule

ls1tech is where you posted? Try the sister site, http://www.performancetrucks.net they are more lsx truck based, but yeah. I would recommend that you get the ls6 oil pump and there is something that they do with the black lifter trays for more oil, i believe that its drilling holes in the sides, but can't remember for sure. They can take alot more abuse than a normal engine...remember that the lsx engines are touched by the hand of god himself lmfao

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il

do a search on the gmpp twin turbo lsx impala-ss, and see what they did to the oiling system for that motor and its pushing 1500+hpwr.

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO

I agree on using the LS6 oil pump. I am using it on my 408 build at what i have read this a great upgrade.

Mine is ported and polished and shimmed. Texas speed built my lower end so, if you wanted to find out more info just look over at ls1tech.com. That place is a library full of info.

Good luck at beating your 5.3.

Tim.

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer

Okay guys we have a change of plans for the mule engine.
It will now be an Engine Masters Competition entry, We have untill october
to r&d this thing. What parts have you seen and or tried?
This is supposed to be a street engine with a rpm range of 2500 to 6500.
We are going to keep everybody informed of our progress and would also
like to get suggestions from everybody.

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO

If you are trying to keep stock rods and crank you need to do ARP rod bolts at least. Cranks can handle tons of power 750+. Pistons and rods are the weak points.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I agree again on the LS6 oil pump. I'm not sure but try looking at Texas Speed Shop's site to see if they sell one. They are definately a powerhouse of LSx racing technology.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts