lsx swap... hmmm

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
me and my fiance just bought a 81 Malibu, 350, 3spd auto. the car has a holley carb and an eldelbrock single plane intake as the only mods. its sucks the gas.. bad. on a 45 mile round trip to work it costed me 20 dollars just to drive and show the guys. i know nothing about chevy performace (i own a efi fox mustang...) but i want to learn so my fiacne will have a nice ride.. i cant convert her to Ford, ive tried so i'll live with it lol. it would be awesome to put a lsx and a 6speed in this car for her. i've read around a little bit and it seems that either a 5.3vortech motor or ls1's are the motor of choice. this car will be a daily driven (~10mi.) car that will see a decent amount of track time. my question is pretty much if i wanted to put an efi lsx in this malibu, how much would it cost me for the motor, trans and all the stuff to put it in with? thanks.

Jon Corey

A

Anonymous

I picked up a 6.0 from an 03 GMC with 4l80e and wiring for 1200.. You can find the deals if you look around, I have also seen people find the 5.3 complete for 500.. The ls1 will easily cost alot more.. then you need to figure in everything else needed to get it to run, fuel, wiring harness, mounts, and the other little things..

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
so this swap would be a pita... i could probably (if i look) find a 5.3 and 4l60/80e for about 1k... plus wiring and mounts and headers... probably about a 2000 dollar job? good t56's go for close to or over 1k dont they? might have to stick with an auto... i've got alot of learning to do.

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
your on the right track but also keep in mind the little things that would be cheap for a genI will be alot more for the genIII like fuel pump, lines, fittings that will hold and make the extra psi needed in the fuel system. mounts and headers will be just the start

id say go for it. the extra power and great fuel econ will be worth it

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Little sh*t adds up.... I would go 555 if I had it to do over........ and its not done.

TorqueJunkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2007
East Tennessee
if you shop around you can find 5.3 + 4l60e or 6.0 + 4l80e for under 3k but like others have said the little sh*t will cost you lots

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
i have several thousands in mine and i bought a 700 dollar motor...........

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
looks like i'm going to have to stay carbed for the time being then. thats way to rich for my blood right now. we just got a new beater so it woulnt be as big of a deal getting 10mpg

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
45 mile round trip, $20 in gas... yikes :shock: That single plane isn't doin' a whole lot for the torque :lol:

For an LS motor have you checked out Philips section on swapping a 4.8 into a 'Bu for his boy? Everything applies just as it would a 5.3, etc.
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts