manual brakes

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
hey guys whats the consensus on manual brakes. i dont wanna hassle with my power ones and i dont know if my cam makes enough vacuum. how hard are they to use around town? i have manual steering on it now anway. any benefit in weight savings?? thanks

A

Anonymous

383malibufiend said:
hey guys whats the consensus on manual brakes. i dont wanna hassle with my power ones and i dont know if my cam makes enough vacuum. how hard are they to use around town? i have manual steering on it now anway. any benefit in weight savings?? thanks

i like them.........stops on a dime and gives me 9 cents change back.. ;)

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
I like them but wish I could have gotten the pivot point further up the brake pedal for more leverage. I knew it would be a hard pedal and I have huge brakes - 6 piston front, 4 piston rear - but I wish it were a bit stronger.

I might change the master cylinder to a smaller piston size for more feel.

Overall I like it and it does save the weight of the power booster and some hoses.

I used the Master Power conversion kit and correct combo valve. It does brake very balanced - no hint of the rear locking up early or anything.

Jim

Sandy

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2005
I used the stock power master cylinder mounted in the top two holes of the firewall.

0.050 thick aluminum plate for the block off of the other holes.

moved the stud from the brake pedal to the hole that is about 1 inch or so above.

cut the original power cylinder brake pedal pushrod to correct length.

installed a brake pedal return stop to ensure the pushrod will not drop out of contact with the master cylinder (simple nut and bolt with locknut in the hole on the bracket above the brake pedal light switch.

stops the 78 malibu effortlessly from 120 mph runs

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts