minitub with backseat?

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
has anyone mini tubbed their car and been able to retain the rear seat? it will be a max notch for a 295/29.5 tire

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
You'll need to modify the steel spring frame for the back of the seat and carve some of the foam out to clear the tubs, but it's not a big deal. Make the bare frame without the seat cover and foam on it fit first. Then carve the foam to fit the new shape of the frame.

I heard some people just carve out the seat and don't bother with the frame, but I have no personal experience with that.

Good luck,
COPO 572

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
I did that on my SS, I moved the stock tubs inboard 3 1/4" and had to modify the seat back frame by narrowing it the same amount. Just cut a 3 1/4" section out of the wire on each side and moved it in and rewelded it. Like COPO said, I had to trim a little of the foam off. Didn't have to alter the cover, just took it off and put it back on after altering the frame. The way I figured it, 3 1/4" was about the max I could move the tubs in and stlll use the seat without major modification. In my case I moved the frame rails in 3 1/2" so moving the tubs in 3 1/4" made them even with the frame.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
Just like they said above, have back seat in mine and have a max notch and aftermarket tubs.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts