Motor Setback

bottlesempty

Amateur Racer
Apr 22, 2007
southern maine
I'm curious, since LSx motor does not have a distributor, is it possible to locate the engine 1 in. toward the fire wall to aid in weight distribution? If so, what engine mount and headers would be ideal?
Thanks

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
There are plenty of companies that make the 1" back adapter plates for the LS swaps, check Ebay for starters, but the heater/ac box will pose clearance issues.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
lol @ free advice....
I don't have a heater box anymore, so mine did get set back 1", the one we are doing is an el camino, and we had to notch out a small part of the heater box to make everything work well together.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I set mine all the way back to the firewall...motor is almost completely behind front crossmember. Used the Edelbrock ls1 4th gen shorty headers.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Mine is set back 1'' but I have no heater box. I'm using long tube headers and running a factory truck intake. I have plenty of engine clearance.

bigseth

Jun 24, 2007
Charlotte NC
You can run a 1" setback with the heater box but you will have to notch it and re fiberglass it in 2 spots. One for the #8 coil so you can get the plug wire on and one for the rear corner of the valve cover. If you have perimeter bolt valve covers it is kind of a pain to get them off but it works. Also if you plan to run a f-body pan then you have to use the 1" setback

Keystone Mark

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2009
I used 1" setback adapters with stock mounts and clamshells in the stock location. I used the stock AC heater box and trimmed the pass side coil mount and coil mount stands on the valve cover. No heater box mods and just enough clearance. I had to access the temp sender and rear spark plug from the bottom but it was far easier than messing with the heater box.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts