Need some tips

fastrat350

Top Fueler
Oct 25, 2003
South Texas
www.freewebs.com
Hey guys Im getting back to the malibu and now im on a tighter budget, so im opting to install my cam myself, I've learned and been given tips over the years on here on how to a motor swap and such. But it is time for me to figure out the harder things that I think are alil trickier. What tools should I use and supplies for installing a cam. I have a brandnew cam, what else do I need? What about those cam bearings? If someone give me some pointers and tips, and even a link to a good write-up I would gladly appreciate it.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
I have done a few cam swaps and never changed out cam bearings unless it was a high mileage engine with NO problems. Just go back with new lifters also with a new camshaft and get your pushrods back in the same spot they were removed from. Try to use the break in lube and change the oil shortly after just like a fresh engine start up just to remove any debris that you may have loosened while tinkering with the internals.
Put the lifters IF hydraulic in a few inches of oil and push the plunger on them them a few times to prelube and get the air out of them before installation.

Check coil bind and coil seat pressure if you are going all out on the lift.

Others will add or subtract to this, but it is easy as heck for the most part to do.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0511ch_camshaft_installation/index.html

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
when your setting the lifters spin the push rod as you tighten the lock nut as soon as you feel resistance give it a 1/4 turn then lock it down( thats what i set mine at). do the same for the rest. make sure the lifters spin freely in the lifter bores. definatley use the break in lube.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts